Stung in the land of Yeats by a yogurt

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Stung in the land of Yeats by a yogurt

Postby Trevor F » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:46 pm

In the week before last Christmas I bought a Valencia Orange with Irish Cream flavoured yogurt ( price 75 Euro cents ) from a supermarket in Ireland as part of my cholesterol reduction diet. While I was eating the product I came across a foreign body within. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was a wasp. The following morning I took it back to the supermarket to show them, following which they were most apologetic and gave me a free coffee. I left them my mobile phone number and expected to hear nothing further.

Later that morning I had a call from Irish Yogurts in Clonakilty, West Cork, apologising for the inconvenience, explaining that their orange content came from a supplier in Spain and that the wasp must have got into the product at that stage. They asked for my address.

Last week I had another call from Irish Yogurts to say that a letter that they had written to me had been returned and could they have another address. Impressed by this level of customer attention I gave them an alternative address as a result of which I received the letter last Thursday. The letter reads :

"Irish Yogurts ref xxxx
Re Foreign body/ insect found in Supreme Valencia Orange Yogurt
Code BBD 1234xxx - 9899

.......... Our QA manager has now investigated.... and although the insect is heavily broken up it does appear to be a wasp. Pest control inspection records around the date of production have been checked and all fly killers were functioning... although some units did show evidence of minor wasp activity........ Due to the nature of the site wasps remain an issue during the late summer months with heavy external activity. The pest control contract for this site is currently being reviewed.......

On behalf of Irish Yogurts please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.... and in anticipation that the above measure reassure you of our commitment to preventing a complaint such as this and that you will continue to enjoy our products for the future. "

The entire letter takes up a whole page. It could have been written by Yeats. I'm impressed with the after-sales service although I didn't receive any compensation, but then neither did I suffer any financial loss .
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Re: Stung in the land of Yeats by a yogurt

Postby Matilda L » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Less poetically, I opened a bag of pearl barley recently and found a large number of dead insects in it - weevils, presumably. They were dead, although I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. The wholesaler was very happy to give me a new bag of pearl barley and a reminder that as their grain products are not fumigated insect eggs are likely to be present in this lot too: rinse before use, and use up within a short time.

Valencia Orange with Irish Cream

I'd like to taste that.
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby ChefJCarey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 am

Ah, a MOY story!
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
ChefJCarey
Pastafarian

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 am

Chef, Hi.....

I am familiar with the words boy, toy, joy, poi and coy. I know people named Roy and Noy. But what, please, is moy?

Thanks in advance
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby ChefJCarey » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Chef, Hi.....

I am familiar with the words boy, toy, joy, poi and coy. I know people named Roy and Noy. But what, please, is moy?

Thanks in advance
Rogov

Matter Other Than Yogurt.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
ChefJCarey
Pastafarian

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner