Paris after Christmas - Moulin d'Auteuil recommended

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Paris after Christmas - Moulin d'Auteuil recommended

Postby Trevor F » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm

We came across the following on a two day trip to Paris by car this week with my daughter ( otherwise she'd have been in front of the TV ) :

Villa Romaine at Louveciennes ( on the Seine just west of the city, suburb known for Impressionist paintings ) where we tucked into home made pasta with tomato and onion sauce and a large bruschetta. The 3 of us ate for 40 euros on Sunday night in a large empty family-run restaurant. When we left the Argentinian owner ignored us ---- if you only spend 40 euros that's what happens. Villa Romaine is at 6 Quai de Conti.

Kosher couscous at Les Ailes in Rue Richer. This place has had a revamp since I last ate there in 2005 – new tables, chairs and décor. Whether or not it’s my memory playing tricks but Les Ailes appears to have gone downhill rapidly. Steaks not as good as on previous visits, accompanied by soggy chips, although my wife said the couscous was well prepared and she is of Moroccan origin.

After going to the Monet museum on Boulevard Suchet opposite the Bois de Boulogne we drove around the Porte d’Auteuil area and came across Le Moulin d’Auteuil at 75 Rue d’Auteuil. The bar at the front looks a bit shabby but there is a smallish bistro at the back. This place is very good. We had some pasta with cepes ( mushrooms )…. I had omelette aux cepes which was very good with fat cut chips which were excellent, particularly with the Dijon mustard. For dessert we had crème brulee, set alight at the table to burn off the brown sugar. This was also very good. Other dishes on the menu were lapin au moutarde ( rabbit in mustard ) which we didn’t have but the menu runs through a lot of the classic French dishes. Highly recommended.Just over 60 Euros for the three of us, house wine included.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Re: Paris after Christmas - Moulin d'Auteuil recommended

Postby Matilda L » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:38 pm

I'm feeling a bit envious here: how nice would it be to be able to nip over to France for a couple of days. Getting to France from where I am involves approximately 24 hours spent in airports and aeroplanes, such a major operation that you don't dare to contemplate going for less than three or four weeks. France is still on the "one day" list.
Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Trevor F » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:54 am

One gripe and that is over the last 20 years or so I have concluded that French breakfasts are rubbish. The French don't seem capable of providing a hot drink ---- tepid coffee is not OK and I keep sending it back until it's hot. Which is why we usually end up at McD or Starbucks where we get a hot coffee or tea made with boiling water. Sets you up for the day.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:12 am

Trevor F wrote:One gripe and that is over the last 20 years or so I have concluded that French breakfasts are rubbish. The French don't seem capable of providing a hot drink ---- tepid coffee is not OK and I keep sending it back until it's hot. Which is why we usually end up at McD or Starbucks where we get a hot coffee or tea made with boiling water. Sets you up for the day.

Anything I say in response will only cause me grief. I therefore say nothing.............

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Trevor F » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't care if it's McD, Wendy's, Mendy's, Arbuckles, Laurel and Hardy, Flanagan and Allen, as long as I get a hot coffee or tea ---- warm espresso or cafe noir is not on.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner