Avocado mousse with almond foam

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Avocado mousse with almond foam

Postby Peter G » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:38 am

Daniel - a long time ago on Stratsplace you posted a recipe for avocado mousse with an almond foam and cepe mushroom, which alas I did not save. Can you dig it out again for me?
Peter G
Cellar rat

Re: Avocado mousse with almond foam

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:06 am

Peter, Hi…..

As might be said, "I done did a search and I done didn't come up with much". References to avocado mousse such as you describe are in my notes about

(a) A meal consumed at Schaarschmidt in Bonn, Germany
(b) A meal consumed with Anton Mosimann during his tenure in London
(c) A course prepared by Joel Robuchon at his original Paris restaurant
(d) The course prepared by Philipp Braun at the meal celebrating the 3000th Anniversary of the founding of Jerusalem

As close as I come to a recipe is one from chef Tsachi Buchester, that from his heyday at Tel Aviv's Pink Ladle restaurant. The mousse can be eaten on its own as a first course or used, as Buchester did, to top a spiced sirloin in a citrus-fruit marinade.

2 ripe avocadoes, peeled and seeded
1 flat tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. white wine
8 drops Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup sour cream
2 egg yolks (from large eggs)
chopped chives, for garnish

In a blender blend together the sour cream and avocados until the
mixture is smooth. With a wire whisk, whisk the egg yolks until
they are light yellow in color and then fold them into the avocado
mixture. Transfer the mixture to a non metallic container and re-
frigerate, covered, until well chilled. To serve, spoon the mix-
ture onto serving plates and sprinkle with the chives. (Serves
2 or 4).

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Avocado mousse with almond foam

Postby Amy_Y_ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:07 am

Wow, happened to find the original recipe Peter was asking for, it is in this thread: http://stratsplace.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=14269

"Cappuccino of Almond Milk with Avocado and Cepe Mushrooms
A Recipe by Chef Eran Shroitman

200 gr. cepe mushrooms
olive oil as required

For the almond milk:
200 gr. peeled almonds
550 gr. mineral water
1 clove crushed garlic

For the avocado mash:
1 ripe avocado
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper

Slice the mushrooms thinly (if using dried mushrooms, soak first in cold water for 4 – 6 hours). In a skillet heat olive oil until hot and in this saute the mushrooms until tender. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and place on absorbent toweling to drain.

To prepare the almond milk, grind all of the ingredients in a blender at high speed. Place the mash in a clean kitchen towel, pressing out all of the liquids. Discard the solid portion and reserve the liquids, seasoning them to taste with salt. Warm the liquids to 70 degrees Celsius and then whisk together in a blender until foamy.

Mash the avocado flesh with the tines of a fork, and then press the flesh through a fine strainer. Mix together with the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, distribute the avocado mash in the bottom of 6 martini glasses and spoon over this just the foamy part of the almond milk. On this gently float the sauteed mushrooms. (Serves 6)."
Amy_Y_
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner