Kosher restaurants in Jerusalem that I did NOT enjoy...

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Kosher restaurants in Jerusalem that I did NOT enjoy...

Postby David Raccah » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Hello Gang,

I am reposting this note (in case you did see it before) here in the food corner of El Capitan's culinary world :)

This past month found me in Jerusalem and as such I needed to attend a taste around the kosher restaurants. Well, I was truly saddened by what I found. Here are my notes from the two restaurants that I ate at:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2008/11/29 ... -jerusalem - a sad documentary about the fall of Shalom Kodesh and the Sheraton Plaza Hotel. And my notes on Noya - http://kosherwinemusings.com/2008/11/26 ... z-cabernet, which may deserve another..

I did not blog about Hess, but I must say that it was the least favorite restaurant that we attended. The famous deli and pate tray lived up to its fame and went quite nicely with the Tishbi Pinot Noir. However, after that it was DOWN HILL. The food was bland and boring and extremely expensive - not worth it at all.

The winner of the restaurant run was shared by the falafel joint on shmuel hanavi (which is pretty good I must say) and the YoJa. The best sushi I have had in a real long time was at Yoja. You know writing this now here, I will blog about YoJa - just to give the restaurant its due and to paint something positive about my culinary attempts in Jerusalem. That said, the food rocked at Yoja. Like I said, the sushi was great to eat and to look at - really lovely. The flavors and textures were complex and did flow into each other quite nicely. The steamed appetizers - dim sum platter, was OK, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more flavor in the dips. The wontons themselves were fine (except for the chicken filled one), but the dips did not help to seal the deal and make the food taste harmonious. Still they were fine. The sate and eggrolls were quite nice. Overall a really nice experience and a great sushi experience and a place that was reasonable and will receive my return visit.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Re: Kosher restaurants in Jerusalem that I did NOT enjoy...

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Before I accidentally deleted David's original post, several people had asked for a mini-list of kosher restaurants in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Herziliya that I could recommend with enthusiasm....

Tel Aviv

Deca
Lilith
Bruno
The Sushi Bar at the Hilton Hotel
Dr Shakshouka (Casual but Fun)

Jerusalem

Dagim BaHatzer
Canela
Shemil BaMabada

Herziliyia

The Meat and Wine Co
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Charlie Dawg » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:29 am

If you can go to Hess just to get cold cuts to go, you are getting the best kosher cold cuts you can find. Especially if you are coming from USA. Do not know what's going on in Europe with them. But here in States cold cuts are practically non existant and hess is an awesome treat.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:54 am

Charlie Dawg wrote:If you can go to Hess just to get cold cuts to go, you are getting the best kosher cold cuts you can find. Especially if you are coming from USA. Do not know what's going on in Europe with them. But here in States cold cuts are practically non existant and hess is an awesome treat.

Agreed completely. Hess' various salamis, sausages, pastrami, corned beef and pates are superb. Best indeed is to buy them there for at-home feasting.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby David Scop » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Do they do Duck or Goose sausage?
David Scop
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:29 pm

I just returned from a very brief trip and enjoyed the following places in Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv: Gabriel (fantastic), Selina (very good), Canela (very good) and Keyara (good) in Jerusalem and Lilith (very enjoyable), Meatos (good), Meat and Wine (very good) and in Tel-Aviv and the area.

Yossie
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner