Culinary Poll #19: The Sandwich of Choice

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Culinary Poll #19: The Sandwich of Choice

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:49 pm

It was probably not the Earl of Sandwich who "invented" the sandwich. In most likelihood the habit started in France and Italy when the wives and daughters of farmers learned that the best way to bring lunch to their husbands, fathers and workers in the fields was by slapping a full and hearty meal between two slices of bread. There is, however, a chance that it was the good Earl who brought the habit back with him to England.

Whatever, assuming that you have unlimited ingredients at hand, what would be your favorite sandwich. Please – list all of the ingredients and specify the type of bread on which you would put your sandwich.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #19: The Sandwich of Choice

Postby Shel T » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:22 am

"Probably not the Earl of Sandwich"
Probably not the French or Italians either. Seems like an obvious way to tote meat etc. around and would guess the Sumerians or no later than the early dynasty Egyptians had some form of sandwich going for them.
Now choosing a favorite sandwich is a lot harder! I really like sandwiches and will have to think about which one tops the charts.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Carl Eppig » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:49 pm

We have two favorite sandwiches:

1. Hot pastrami on seeded Jewish rye with grainy mustard.

2. Turkey club on three slices of sourdough toast with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on one level, and sliced turkey, cranberry jelly, and mayo on the other.

Guess which one we're having today!
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Matilda L » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:37 pm

I eat bread less and less, and sandwiches don't figure much on my menu these days. But: sharp, aged cheddar cheese on dense-textured stone-ground whole wheat bread, with a full flavoured spicy fruit chutney, would be my sandwich of choice.

(As a child, I used to beg for fritz and sauce sandwiches. This was, for me, a peak culinary experience at age six or seven. Thin slices of fritz on buttered white bread, with a generous smear of commercial tomato sauce. Fritz is that awful bland pink sausage ... I think its closest American relation would be bologna sausage. Butchers always used to give children slices of fritz to eat when they came into the shop with their mothers. Some still do. I don't think I could come at a fritz sandwich these days.)

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Jenise » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:30 pm

To make at home? Grilled green chile and cheese on dark rye.

To buy while away from home? Two choices here, depending on location: if I'm in L.A., then it's a hot pastrami on rye from Jerry's Deli in Encino purchased on the way to the airport and usually eaten on the plane on the way home, two more loaves of said rye safely in the overhead bin. No mustard needed--it's just perfect bare-nekkid. And the other is in Paris: sliced salami on chewy buttered baguette, purchased to eat while strolling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Shel T » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Reading this thread just reminded me of one of the great sandwiches available for takeout, the muffuletta sandwich from Central Grocery on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Last time there, my wife and I bought a couple of them to eat on the plane back to L.A. and when the aroma started permeating the plane interior, for a time there, we thought we were gonna be attacked by the other passengers for them!
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Grilled green chile and cheese on dark rye.

I could go with that. My first thought was a grilled cheese sandwich I had at Traci's. cheddar, thin-sliced heirloom tomatoes, and some chipotle powder. And another grilled cheese from the same evening, raclette and matsutake. Both sandwiches were on Trader Joe's English Muffin bread.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Shlomo R » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:55 am

Hot (fatty) pastrami on toasted rye, with Coleman's English Mustard, and just for the heck of it, fried onions. Mybe deli mustard instead of the Coleman's.
Last edited by Shlomo R on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby David Scop » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 am

Tip of Tongue on Toasted Club bread.
As I haven't seen a real club bread in over a decade, I'd permit toasted Rye.
The only condiment that works for me is caramelized onions.

For the beverage, a Dr Brown's Black Cherry, or a robust beer.
David Scop
Wine geek

Postby Margalit N » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:53 am

i love sandwiches! the 1'st one that comes to mind is the best i had in the last year: it was a buffalo mozzarella sandwich with young artichokes marinated in olive oil and garlic in some sort of italian white bread. i got it in a small grocery in Montepulciano, Italy. i was planning to eat it on lake chiusi - where we were heading, but i gave a bite to my 3 years old, and he gulped the amazing sandwich, living me with only the memory of a perfect 1'st bite. i cant recreate the sandwich, because it was all about the best and freshest ingredients: fresh italian buffalo mozzarella and those artichokes...
Margalit N
Cellar rat

Postby Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:59 am

Tongue on wry?

But seriously, probably something like a chorizo and asiago panini with sauteed garlic.....
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby Jenise » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Shel T wrote:Reading this thread just reminded me of one of the great sandwiches available for takeout, the muffuletta sandwich from Central Grocery on Decatur Street in the French Quarter. Last time there, my wife and I bought a couple of them to eat on the plane back to L.A. and when the aroma started permeating the plane interior, for a time there, we thought we were gonna be attacked by the other passengers for them!

Our pastrami's have a similar effect. I don't mind admitting that it makes me feel temporarily superior to those who didn't come as prepared. :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Jenise » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I could go with that.

We call it a "Pablo Goldfarb". Feel free to use it. :)
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:44 pm

You people had better take care. We're getting dangerously close to two of my other favorites - peanut butter and bacon and peanut butter and banana, ideally on "Jewish rye bread".

Christmas is coming. Love peanut butter for Christmas!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote: ideally on "Jewish rye bread".

Is that any different from the non-sectarian rye?
Bill Spohn

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Is that any different from the non-sectarian rye?

Bill, Hi....

The amusing thing is that it is actually different and that because the style of bread that came to be known as "Jewish rye" is made using a sour rye starter.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Is that any different from the non-sectarian rye?

Bill, Hi....

The amusing thing is that it is actually different and that because the style of bread that came to be known as "Jewish rye" is made using a sour rye starter.

Best
Rogov

Didn't realize that. I'll make a point of picking some up so I can compare it with 'regular' goyish product!
Bill Spohn

Postby Shel T » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:You people had better take care. We're getting dangerously close to two of my other favorites - peanut butter and bacon and peanut butter and banana, ideally on "Jewish rye bread".

Christmas is coming. Love peanut butter for Christmas!

Best
Rogov

Daniel, you ain't nuthin' but a hound dog! that was Elvis's fave also, fried PB, bacon and banana sandwiches, but presumably since he wasn't Jewish, he had them on good ol' white bread.
I know you'll wanna make one like Elvis did so here's the link.
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 188064.ece
And the other music connection to these sandwiches is Mersey-side, Liverpool and the Beatles, known there as a banana butty, mashed banana between buttered white bread.
Damn you're in good company Daniel, now if you can only sing!
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Carrie L. » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 pm

I love a "real" Italian cold cut sub on toasted bread with onions sliced so thin you can see through them, pepperoncini, vinegar, olive oil and oregano.

Or, a super fresh lobster roll on a buttered, toasted hot dog bun.

Those are my choices today. They'll probably be different tomorrow. :D
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Postby Bobby S » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 am

My favorite sandwich right now is NY Cheddar with red onions, cilantro, and cherry tomatoes grilled on sourdough bread. This sandwich is best eaten from Amy's Bread in New York City.

Shel, The King was, in fact, Jewish. This is interesting if you consider Presley and Dylan the two most influential artists in rock and roll history.

In 1998, The Wall Street Journal published an article named All Shook Up in the Holy Land exposing Elvis Presley’s Jewish roots. Elvis’ maternal great-great grandmother, Nancy Burdine, was a Jew. Her daughter gave birth to Doll Mansell who gave birth to Gladys Smith who gave birth to Elvis Aaron. According to rabbinic law, which confers Jewish lineage by way of the mother, that makes Elvis Presley Jewish.
Bobby S
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 am

Bobby, Hi.....

Just a quick word of welcome to the "new" forum. I've been following your adventures in recent months via our email exchanges but good to see you back here. All we need now is Edward G. Robinson.....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shel T » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:31 am

Bobby, re Elvis being Jewish, LOL gotta call that a bit of a stretch!
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Edward G Robinson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:28 pm

Rogov,

Ok , here goes.

Grilled onions/garlic mixture, brisket with gravy on Levy's Jewish Rye.

Gotta wash it down with a quintessential Jewish beverage: Dr Brown's Cel-Ray soda
You don't have to be chinese kid Levy'ss Rye.jpg
You don't have to be chinese kid Levy'ss Rye.jpg (3.14 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Where's your Rogov Now?
Edward G Robinson
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Eddie, Hi....

Like me, you are old enough to remember when it was called Dr. Browns Celery Tonic. Until the Supreme Court of New York State interfered with our Jewish rights! Well.....or something like that....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner