The Best Jewish Meal (You Don't Have to Be Jewish)

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Re: The Best Jewish Meal (You Don't Have to Be Jewish)

Postby Edward G Robinson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Men tend to repeat jokes. Critics tend to repeat stories. Your post above reminds me of many years ago when Paul Bocuse was visiting New York and I took him to a well-known knish joint on the Lower East side. I ordered two potato knishes, one spread generously with deli mustard, the other with nothing more than an additional bit of salt. Bocuse took a big bite of one of those, held it at arms length, studied it for a moment and said "It's marvelous. But tell me, is it to eat or to throw at an enemy?"

The knish (aka the Jewish atom bomb) that does not give you heartburn is a poor knish indeed.

Best
Rogov

Methinks you went to Sam's Pizza on the Corner of Essex, that had the best knish!
Attachments
You dont have to be Jeiwsh to Love Levys.jpg
You dont have to be Jeiwsh to Love Levys.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Where's your Rogov Now?
Edward G Robinson
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Eddie, Eddie,Eddie......

As much as I respect your knowledge of Yiddishkeit, ain't ever been knishes like the knishes of Yoinah Schimmel. Can't vouch for them for the last twenty years but certainly well into the 1980's these were the knishes par excellence. Sheesh...even Buggsie Segal loved them.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Bobby S » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:37 am

Yonah Shimmel is still there, and the knishes are the same as always plus more modern flavors. The store is unchanged from 1910 except for the microwave. Microwaves are only good for ostrich meat and leftovers.
Bobby S
Wine geek

Postby Leanne S » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 am

My grandmother's holiptches. Not sure if I'm spelling it right, but I have tried replicating her stuffed cabbage with pretty good success.

Speaking of Canter's, the mural on the side of the building was organized by my sister; my father is the WWII sailor in the mural, and I printed up posters of the mural. I wonder if I still have any. I think they're under a pile of stuff and junk.
Leanne S
Ultra geek

Postby Gamliel K » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Rogov,

The best quintessentially Jewish meal I had lately was actually a byproduct of preparation for a French Meal. A stew I was making a few weeks ago called for rendered goose fat, and I decided to substitute good ol’-fashioned chicken schmaltz (made with lots of onions).

After I had taken all the schmaltz I need for the stew, I spread the little bit of excess on a few slices of toasted challah, and topped them with a little salt, and lots of gribenes. What a meal! *

Other favorite Jewish dishes are:
Kasha and bowties
Stuffed cabbage (served in a sweet and sour sauce)
Stewed flanken
Pickled tongue
Bagels and eggs
Koogle (potato, salt-and-pepper lucheon, Yerushalmi, et.al.)
Beef knishes
Kishka (stuffed durma)

Oh the choices . . .

Gamliel

*The stew was good too.
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner