Culinary Poll #18: The perfect cut of meat

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

The Perfect Cut of Meat

Pork (wild or domesticated)
14%
Beef
52%
Lamb/Mutton
19%
Goat
No votes
Buffalo
5%
Camel
No votes
Deer
No votes
Other (Please specify)
10%

Total votes : 21

Culinary Poll #18: The perfect cut of meat

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:18 pm

More than one literary figure, including of course Charles Lamb, have claimed that of the best cuts of meat in the world, all are some form of swine. Now as well we know, pork is not acceptable to those who maintain either the Jewish laws of kashrut or the Moslem laws of halal, so the question arises: What is in your reality the animal most perfectly suited to the perfect cut of meat that can come from a mammal…..

My thanks to forum member Scott Lancer for suggesting the poll.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #18: The perfect cut of meat

Postby Shel T » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Am a card-carrying carnivore, like them all but beef still #1.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Jacques Levy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:12 am

Nothing beats a good steak. There's a reason steakhouses are popular while porkhouses don't really exist
Best Regards

Jacques
Jacques Levy
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:15 pm

As a follower of neither kashrut nor halal, i hope it is not impudent of me to pick up the cudgel for pork in this forum. :oops:

Nevertheless, while on the one hand I love beef and on the other I'm a would-be vegetarian trying to get out, I have to give pork the edge for complexity and variety of flavor. As a simple analogy, if beef is like Bordeaux, pork is like Burgundy.

Or, as the great blues musician Bo Carter once sang, "Pigmeat, I tell you, pigmeat is what I crave."
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:57 pm

As much as I adore bacon, ham and proscuitto; as easily as I can dig into a lamb or pork ossobuco; as at times there can be nothing better than a fine lamb cassoulet or a plate of lamb chops, my vote has to go to beef. From the noble tournedo to the not-at-all humble burger; from the Porterhouse, to the T-Bone or entrecote steak; and on to all beef hot dogs, beef is the one I'd miss most.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby MichaelB » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:58 am

Everyone who has responded to this point is voting for his favorite meat, not cut. I'm the first of the "other[s]" to date, but found no place to register my distinctive otherness so I'm posting here. I vote for flank steak. usually the leanest (and admittedly, sometime the tougher) meat. Dunno about pork, but for beef, deer, mature sheep and other animals I've butchered, it is the most flavorful.
MichaelB
Ultra geek

Postby Matilda L » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:48 am

Beef. The most versatile, lending itself to all manner of preparation methods. Fine beef is delicious with or without sauces and condiments. We all have preferences for whether we like it cooked well done, blue, or somewhere in between; but the reality is that beef can be excellent at any level of "done-ness".

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Peter May » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:15 am

All the above are meat animals, not the cut.

I'm going for roasted leg of lamb, carved in thin slices, as my favourite.

However, as Lucia Turin and Tania Sanchez authors of Perfumes: The Guide say

"The question that women casually shopping for perfume ask more than any other is this: “What scent drives men wild?” After years of intense research, we know the definitive answer. It is bacon."
Peter May
Pinotage Advocate

Postby Gamliel K » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm

What can I say . . . I may adore lamb, and venison, elk and other game may have there place, but in my mind the greatest and most versatile source of carnivorous delight is the flesh of the cow.

Indeed I often have thought that should I ever need a personal motto, there would be none better for me than the motto of that odd allotment of dukes, brigands, and rakes, the Sublime and Ancient Society of Beefsteaks. For blazoned above their door in ornate carved letters, were the words “Beef and Liberty!” And that is one motto I can get behind.

There are so many different ways to enjoy the abundant variety of flavors and textures that beef has to offer. However if I were forced to choose just one, I would go for a lightly seasoned plate of boeuf tartare, served with a freshly baked baguette. . . a little bit of heaven.

Gamliel
Gamliel K
Ultra geek

Postby Scott Lancer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:10 pm

It's a tough call for everything else but the swine. Bacon, Serrano ham, prosciutto - these give the pig clear first place. Second is hard to judge, between venison backstraps, catfish (if we extend our reach to the legless cuts), and venison loin. I'll give the deer an honorable mention. Not as many lovely options as the pig, but danged lovely nonetheless. Of course I have the advantage in that the deer I eat live primarily on corn, apples, and grapes during the summer and fall.
Scott Lancer
Wine geek

Postby Ryan M » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:17 pm

I do love pork loin - such a versatile cut. But the most glorious cuts of meat I have had have all been steak, steak steak!!! T-bones and Porterhouses in particular.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:i hope it is not impudent of me to pick up the cudgel for pork in this forum. :oops:

If you were impudent, you wouldn't be ABLE to wield your pork cudgel, would you? :twisted:

I am surprised that there are so few proponents of lamb - is it just Peter and me?

Beef is good, but give me a mature bottle of claret and some pre-salé lamb every time!
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby David Scop » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:21 pm

i went for the buffalo as the perfect meat, not cut as the title says.

I rarely have it due to availability and finances, but A 2 lb steak of cow doesn't go down as easily, and gosh darn it, aint as healthy for ya!
David Scop
Wine geek

Postby Charlie Dawg » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 pm

I grew up in Ukraine and new very little about kosher. The choice of meat in Ukraine was pork. In any and every way possible.
Not so long ago, some 10 years or so i started to keep kosher, but i am yet to find a piece of meat that can be as good as the other "white meat". Though to be honest with you, I probably do not even remember the taste of it.

In absence of the above piece of meat I would have to vote for chicken. As kosher piece of beef is just not my cup of tea.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Robert Reynolds » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:05 am

Pork, with beef a fairly close second.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Robert Reynolds
1000th member!

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner