Culinary Poll #17: Cause for Thanksgiving?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Culinary Poll #17: Cause for Thanksgiving?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:30 pm

On Thursday, 27 November, hundreds of millions of the residents, citizens and even expatriates of the United States of America will be celebrating the holiday of Thanksgiving. Turkeys, both fresh and frozen are being sold by the millions not only in the USA but in France, the UK, Israel and even in China. All of which is great news for the people dining on those birds. I suppose though that if turkeys could have a day of mourning, this would be the day.

If you were the acknowledged world leader of all of the turkeys, what would you suggest that people put on their table on Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that in this role if you choose turkeys you will be advising people to eat your brothers, sisters and cousins, so please do somehow manage to justify that decision.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #17: Cause for Thanksgiving?

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:45 pm

eAt mor chiken
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Loweeel » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Ostrich. That stuff is absolutely delicious.

But for something closer to home, goosducken (not "goodsucken, though that might be much more fun). It's like Turducken, but with goose instead of turkey. Individual game hens for each attendee would also be nice.
http://PSychospath.com -- The PSychos' Path: the long road to being crazy about Petite Sirah
Loweeel
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Loweeel wrote:Ostrich. That stuff is absolutely delicious.

Rather than make this a very long thread, see my comments about ostrich meat at viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20063

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:05 pm

if i was the the acknowledged world leader of all of the turkeys...( and there r some who claim i am...)

then of course i would advocate...soylent green.

revenge is sweet.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Doug...Z...is...Charlton...Heston!!! :wink:
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Porcini.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:45 pm

If I was leader of the Turkeys I'd make them go Hungary.

:oops: I'm very, very sorry for that :oops: :oops:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Scott Lancer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:25 pm

I would suggest a ham, wrapped in bacon, smoked while supporting a slab of fatback.

And for the entree, venison - backstraps (I can only recall the redneck hunter's term at the moment - the stuff running along the backbone there) grilled just enough to be warm in the middle.

As a side dish I would recommend catfish pan-fried in duck fat.

Dessert should of course be cheesecake.
Scott Lancer
Wine geek

Postby James Roscoe » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm

I LOVE Turkey! I am unrepentant! :mrgreen: Eat more turkey!
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Matilda L » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:13 am

Well, over the years we have seen some world leaders who are turkeys. Not naming any names.

Ignoring any advice for alternatives humans might like, the world leader of turkeys might suggest that other turkeys should eat more greens and grains, preferably organic or at least untreated with additives. And they should get out more. Walk around, stretch their legs. It's good for them.

We don't observe Thanksgiving down here, but a large percentage of Australian households have turkey for Christmas - in spite of the hot weather.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:58 am

I suppose that if I were king of the turkeys, my advice to humans would be: "Let them eat cake"* Of course, like Marie Antoinette shortly after that utterance, I'd watch out very carefully to assure that my head and the rest of my body were not to be separated.

Best
Rogov

*Perhaps a little-known reality, that Marie Antoinette did not use the word "cake". Her utterance was "let them eat brioches" and that was more insulting as brioches at that time were a delicacy prepared almost entirely for the nobility and the very, very wealthy.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Carrie L. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanksgiving without Turkey? Perish the thought! I cannot imagine.
BUT, forced to save "my ilk" as their leader, I would offer up their cousin, the duck. Justification? I really like duck! And, when I was in Paris one year over Thanksgiving, it made for a very nice "stand-in."

As an aside, I know a great many families who have turkey on Thanksgiving and then turn right around and have the same exact meal on Christmas. I have never understood this. Can anyone shed any light? Growing up, we always had Turkey on Thanksgiving and then a leg of lamb on Christmas. Then my older sister married a guy who didn't eat lamb, so we switched to Prime Rib Roast and that is what I usually do now. To me, it seems like a good fit.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Carrie, Hi...

Different strokes for different folks - lamb remains traditional Christmas fare in Greece and amongst Christians in the Middle-East while ham continues to rule for that holiday in France and Germany. I think a good part of the popularity of the double-turkey holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) is due largely because of the success of the turkey producers and the advertising campaigns they initiated starting in the late 1950's, a large part of the appeal being that turkey was less expensive than ham, and later in the 1970's by their claim that turkey had less cholesterol than ham.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Michelle Nordell » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:41 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Carrie, Hi...

Different strokes for different folks - lamb remains traditional Christmas fare in Greece and amongst Christians in the Middle-East while ham continues to rule for that holiday in France and Germany. I think a good part of the popularity of the double-turkey holiday (Thanksgiving and Christmas) is due largely because of the success of the turkey producers and the advertising campaigns they initiated starting in the late 1950's, a large part of the appeal being that turkey was less expensive than ham, and later in the 1970's by their claim that turkey had less cholesterol than ham.

Best
Rogov

Actually goose is big in Germany for Christmas. I vote for goose.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Ryan M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:44 pm

I would say that as a turkey it is my place in life to eat and be eaten. Therefore, I would tell me fellow turkeys that they should take pride and pleasure in being eaten, for they will then have fulfilled there nature-appointed purpose! :twisted:
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Jacques Levy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:I would say that as a turkey it is my place in life to eat and be eaten. Therefore, I would tell me fellow turkeys that they should take pride and pleasure in being eaten, for they will then have fulfilled there nature-appointed purpose! :twisted:

Way to go Ryan!!! I second everything you say.
Best Regards

Jacques
Jacques Levy
Ultra geek

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:15 pm

I go with Carrie's suggestion of duck. I grew up with the turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas (and sometimes New Year's Day as well.) It was about the only time we ever had turkey so two or three times a year isn't so repetititive. As I was growing up the tradition was that Mother hosted the Thanksgiving meal and my grandfather and grandmother hosted at Christmas and my great-uncle and great-aunt hosted on New Year's Day (which was also my aunt's birthday.) Sometimes in later years the meal would be at a traditional hotel in downtown Lincoln and my sister and I enjoyed playing hide and seek in the corridors and riding the elevator and escalator (simple pleasures.) I do blame the New Year's Day at the hotel for my dislike of oysters though--they had me try a raw oyster--don't ever foist a raw oyster on a child, I say. Today I like/love clams, mussels, etc. but avoid oysters.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Shel T » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 pm

We're pretty traditional for Thanksgiving with turkey & all the trimmings, but for Xmas have often done goose or prime rib and probably will this year, undecided which at this point. Weather may dictate the choice, if in the seventies as it has been many years, will probably BBQ the prime rib.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Mike_F » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:..."Let them eat cake"* Of course, like Marie Antoinette shortly after that utterance, I'd watch out very carefully to assure that my head and the rest of my body were not to be separated ... Perhaps a little-known reality, that Marie Antoinette did not use the word "cake". Her utterance was "let them eat brioches" and that was more insulting as brioches at that time were a delicacy prepared almost entirely for the nobility and the very, very wealthy.

Rogov - Please see http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/227600.html . They have a different take on the issue...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Please do not take an affront to my position, but if I was king of Turkey, cow, fish, etc - I would say the same - we were put on this world to be eaten by humans. So I would say a few things:

1) Enjoy the food - but do not forget a nice wine!
2) Please do not waste food - if you are going to eat us turkeys, please do not throw out leftovers - because you bought a 30 pound turkey and only ate 15 pounds of it. Americans waste food - and I hate it
3) Finally, please do not kill yourselves when preparing the food

Happy Thanksgiving! Please do not forget to give thanks giving to God - as it is his world as well!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Mike_F wrote:... Please see http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/227600.html . They have a different take on the issue...

Mike, Hi....

All is well with that source except for one thing. The laws that applied to the pricing of breads was such that it applied to boulangeries but not patisseries. Brioches are far more labor intensive than bread, rolls and croissants. More than that, they are even today recognized by French law as pastries and not as breads. No pre-revolutionary patisserie would have dreamed of offering brioche and most were prepared either at the far more expensive patisseries or in the private kitchens, by the private cooking staff of the nobility and the wealthy.*

Not to misunderstand - I adore French breads from the baguette to the pain de trois cent grams, to all others, including of course the croissant when it is well made. Brioches are in another category altogether.

Best
Rogov

*Supported extensively by the works of historian Sanche de Gramont
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Ryan M » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Jacques Levy wrote:
Ryan Maderak wrote:I would say that as a turkey it is my place in life to eat and be eaten. Therefore, I would tell me fellow turkeys that they should take pride and pleasure in being eaten, for they will then have fulfilled there nature-appointed purpose! :twisted:

Way to go Ryan!!! I second everything you say.

Power to the carnivores!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:21 pm

I too am a devout carnivore but I wonder how I would feel if some group of creatures superior to we humans were to perceive us as their feast of choice for a given holiday. Were I a leader of the humans,I doubt very much that I would advise us to go gentle into that good night that awaits at the butcher's blade. Would not a turkey giving the advice that some of you would have him offer be forever perceived as the Benedict Arnold of all turkeys?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner