Culinary Poll #16: How Do We Rate Ourselves as Cooks

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

What Kind of Cook Am I?

Outstanding
No votes
Excellent
27%
Very Good
38%
Good
14%
Moderately Good-Good
3%
Moderately Good
8%
Fair
11%
Less than Fair
No votes
Bad
No votes
Abysmally bad
No votes

Total votes : 37

Re: Culinary Poll #16: How Do We Rate Ourselves as Cooks

Postby Doug Z » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:13 am

i make a pretty mean coq au vin...

but i wont get into a pissing match about whose coq is better.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Shel T » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:I'd rate myself as "very good" but short of "excellent". That because I think the truly excellent cook has to be an innovator and my strengh lies not in innovation but in replicating and perhaps adapting classic recipes from the French, Italian and several other European cuisines.

I will say, however, that no-one on this planet makes better boeuf Bourguignon, tournedos a la Rossini, coq au vin, lobster Thermidor, pommes de terre Anna, eggs Benedict or potato latkes! Challenge that statement at your own risk.

Best
Rogov

Wouldn't it be fun (great/terrif?) to have an international "throw-down" AKA cook-off with all those dishes. Now all there is to figure out is how to do simaltaneous continental tasting. If you come up with a slution, count me in!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Shel, Hi......

A wonderful qua wondrous suggestion. All we need do is arrange a group to meet on neutral territory, let's say St. Moritz, to stay at the Badrutt Palace Hotel and perhaps to work with Johri in taking over his restaurant and kitchen for an evening for each of us to prepare his/her version of the various dishes and to invite a collection of French and American critics we all respect to do the tasting/judging. Alas, I suspect that such a meeting would be expensive enough that I could easily enter the bankruptcy courts before the cook-off even started.

On which one my rare smilies 8)

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shel T » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Shel, Hi......

A wonderful qua wondrous suggestion. All we need do is arrange a group to meet on neutral territory, let's say St. Moritz, to stay at the Badrutt Palace Hotel and perhaps to work with Johri in taking over his restaurant and kitchen for an evening for each of us to prepare his/her version of the various dishes and to invite a collection of French and American critics we all respect to do the tasting/judging. Alas, I suspect that such a meeting would be expensive enough that I could easily enter the bankruptcy courts before the cook-off even started.

On which one my rare smilies 8)

Best
Rogov

Hey Daniel, I sense a "reality" show here! Over to you, sell the idea to any of the Euro or Israeli TV production companies or networks and will be happy to participate and bring my own toque. Maybe we could title it "Near the Top Chef"!
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Shel,

There are four things in the world that I hate and "reality shows" are three of them. LOL because this week I'm scheduled for filming by CNN, CBS, France's Channel 2 and Israel's Channel 1.

As Ultra Violet put it so nicely......we are all famous for 15 minutes.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shel T » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Aw c'mon Daniel, your fame is worth at least a half hour!
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Words I wish I had written:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Charlie Dawg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 pm

My father had a teacher in school, who used to say, in regards of grades, G-d gets 5 (or A), I get 4 (B), rest of you get 3 (C). When my father was done with school and was taking entrance exam to university, he got solid 5 (A). Well,, by the same token in cooking G-d gets 5, my grandmother gets 4, my mother 3, and I, I only get 2. That is how I great my self. That doesn't matter that the others would great me at that level. I am positive I would receive much higher score.

And Daniel, I already told you, it is I who makes the best potato latkes. :lol:
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 pm

I'll immodestly lay claim to excellence. I've been a foodie since the whole food thing started in the US with James and Julia and Craig & Co. in the 1970s and took most upscale baby boomers along by storm. I love cooking as a creative outlet and have written about it professionally since the 1980s, including a position as publishe restaurant critic from 1984-90 and 1994-present; I have always taken the position - not shared by all food critics - that you shouldn't criticize how other people do it if you can't do it yourself. I've worked, albeit only as a brief "stage"-like experience, on the line in a restaurant kitchen. And I've cooked most of the dinners in our two-person household for 25 years or so. I've studied nutrition, food science and food anthropology in reasonable detail. I'm a sufficiently confident cook that I now create most of my recipes (and publish many of those); and I flatter myself that I can cook in a variety of ethnic cuisines at a level that would not truly offend a member of those ethnic groups. I love cooking (and conceptualizing dishes and thinking about food and the role that it plays in our lives), and it shows ... although I hope it doesn't show too badly on my waistline - I also try to cook and eat sensibly and walk off a lot of the calories that I cook or review.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Previous

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner