Culinary Poll #015: Going Out in High Style

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Culinary Poll #015: Going Out in High Style

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Dahn Ben-Amotz was one of Israel's best known playwrights, authors, journalists, radio personalities and, perhaps above all bohemians. He was a man so sexual in nature that his escapades would have put even George Simenon to shame.

When Ben-Amotz knew that he was close to death, he arranged a series of farewell dinners and parties for his friends and indeed, even his enemies of whom he had an abundance. All attended and some go as far as to say that those were the best parties ever thrown in Tel Aviv.

Looking many years into the future, if you knew you were close to making your last curtain call, what kind of meal or party would you arrange for your friends, and what kinds of beverages and any other special arrangements would you have served and made for that meal/party. Would it be at home, in a restaurant, in a park or forest, by the seashore……. And don't forget - you'll be on the way out so cost should be of minimal concern.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #015: Going Out in High Style

Postby Matilda L » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:14 am

Blimey, this is a hard one to think about!

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:55 am

What time of year?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Jeff_Dudley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Aside from crazy impossible, imaginary scenarios of foreign locales and guests from the far-flung past, I like this idea.

Empty six pack wine carriers ready to go home with guests ! One per customer, cellar unlocked and ready for anything goes take-home plundering. Lowell George, Jimmie Lunceford, Stan Getz and Alison Krauss endlessly playing through the McIntosh. Grilled yellow corn, smoked whole hog, Dawn's biscuits, veg from the garden, mountains of fresh raspberries and salty-as-Hell cashews, all flanked by an open bottle parade of every owned Verset Cornas, Gallet Cote Rotie, Pol Roger Winston and Haart Piesporter Goldtropchen. Yeah, that should do it. Sharing the stuff of life I liked best.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
Jeff_Dudley
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:22 pm

In my case, depends on in what city I happen to be dieing.

If in Tel Aviv, the party would be at Yo'ezer Wine Bar. Not the wines offered there but the very best of my cellar, but those including only the most tempting Champagnes that remain in storage and the superb reds that I have of Bordeaux, Brunello, Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Accompanying foods - blinis with caviar and creme fraiche, gigot d'agneau, an abundance of bacon (cut thickly) and for dessert iles flottantes with Yqueum.

If in Paris, at Caves Petrissan. The wines would be those that I have stored there - those mostly older vintage Bordeaux and Burgundy and, of course a goodly amount of Champagne. The food - with the Champagne grilled coquilles St. Jacques with nothing more than lemon and butter, oysters on the half shell of course, and escargots Bourguignonne. With the reds the boeuf bourguignonne, the Porterhouse steak and, for those who care for it the blanquette de veau.

If in New York, at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. There to feast on nothing more than oysters in any manner that people chose along with fine Chablis. From there on to Mai Sing in Chinatown to feast on Peking duck and with that some very old German Riesling.

To all of the above, guest list of 100, including friends and enemies as well as any strangers that happened to drop in at the moment (only two people would be excluded - one a man I know to be so immoral that I cannot and will not tolerate his presence and the other a man so supercilious and unnecessary that I simply do not acknowledge his existence).

If the realization of my impending death came while "on the road", that is to say while traveling, the party would be limited to my wife and myself. And I can assure you that whatever the arrangement, it would be enjoyed thoroughly.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shlomo R » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:12 am

If in summertime, I think my party would be an enormous outdoor barbecue. Not sure how many people, but I envision it in a large open grassy space, with enormous grills going, cooking beefsteak, bison, lamb, ribs, chicken, and of course hot dogs and hamburgers. I see french fries coming out of outdoor deep fryers (i.e. turkey fryers), and come to think of it, we'll add deep fried turkey to the menu along with hot pastrami. In terms of beverages, minimum of two keg taps, a wide variety of single malt scotches and bourbons, and loads of good wines.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Michelle Nordell » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 pm

I would hire someone to do a big Argentinian grill with various cuts of beef, lamb, chicken and smoked fish on the beach in Caesaria. We would start with a selection of cocktails, single malt whiskeys and appetizers, and have beer (German, Dutch, Czech, and Belgian) and wine (Italian, Israeli, German, and French) with dinner sitting around a fire watching the sunset. Then after-dinner drinks, such as brandy, nocino from a small secret village near Lugano, Sciacchetrà from Cinque Terre, and Port.

There would also be loads of artichokes and asparagus. For dessert: figs, raspberries, strawberries and guavas served with a massive bowl of whipped buffalo cream.

There would also be a salsa band.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Matilda L » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 am

Well, I've thought about it, and the best send-offs I've ever been to have involved plenty of music and good wine. I'd like to think people would gather after the funeral with their instruments, and play and sing and tell stories for hours. Perhaps I will establish a "Matilda's Wake" fund to provide the booze and food.

Matilda
(No intention of checking out for some time)
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Interesting - one of the least responded to polls ever. I suppose not too many like to project ahead to the circumstances of our own demise. Fair enough, after all Sartre even wrote a book about it Le Neant et le Non-Neant (Being and Non-Being)

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Patti L » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 pm

I've thought about this off and on for a few years now. I'm not married, and I don't have children, so when I wrote my will I left whatever I have or will have to my 4 best friends. I've asked only one thing in return: they each have a kick-ass party in their respective towns, simultaneously. Have friends and family, great food, the best spirits and an excellent time. Laugh, cry, eat, cry, drink, cry, and remember the fun times we had together.

And I'm not generous enough to include my enemies. And if my friends invite them, thinking I won't know...they are SO wrong.

8)
Patti
Patti L
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner