Culinary Poll #014: Take-Away Food

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

How Often Do We Dine on Take-Away or Home-Delivered Food?

4 -5 times weekly or more
No votes
2 - 3 times weekly
4%
about once a week
33%
about once every two weeks
13%
about once a month
25%
3 - 4 times a year
13%
1 - 2 times a year4
4%
very, very rarely
8%
never
No votes

Total votes : 24

Culinary Poll #014: Take-Away Food

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:35 pm

The take-away food industry, along with those places that deliver to one's home has expanded by no less than 14,000% (fourteen thousand percent) since 1980. That's big business. How often do you dine on take-away food or dishes that are delivered to your home.

In your comments, if you do dine on such food, do you have any favorite types (e.g. Chinese, pizza, burgers, Japanese, Thai, or even French gourmet)?
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #014: Take-Away Food

Postby Robert Reynolds » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Average about once a week, generally pizza, but sometimes Chinese.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Robert Reynolds
1000th member!

Postby Shel T » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:27 pm

It's either Thai from a really terrif hole in the wall joint or our fave pizza place, and once in a blue moon, will get Indian delivered.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Matilda L » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:12 am

Take away from good Thai, Indian and Chinese restaurants hereabouts are a handy way to cater for large gatherings of family and friends. Perhaps four or five times a year? From time to time, we get a pre-cooked chicken for dinner - did that last night, in fact; too exhausted from a long busy day to cook, or to go out - perhaps once in two or three months.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Michelle Nordell » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:10 am

We rarely do take-away. There are not any decent Chinese or Indian take-away here. That is the one thing I miss.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:59 am

I'm visiting California at the moment for a wedding and a tech conference. For the conference dinner, we did take out from Slanted Door. That did not suck.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Carl Eppig » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:05 pm

We voted for once a month. It is usually pizza or Chinese. It is always take out, as nobody delivers to where we live.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Dave R » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 am

In the last three years we have had pizza delivered once and had Chinese take-out twice. I'm not sure which one was the worst.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
Dave R
Wild and Crazy Guy

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 am

My vote went to "very, very rarely" and that largely because my experience in earlier days were so negative. I suppose I simply had enough of soggy pizzas, Chinese food that arrived half-cold and then dried out when being reheated, and sushi that in the half-hour or so from the restaurat to my home managed to look rather uniformly grey and unappealing.

Today it happens only in times of absolute desperation (e.g. on returning from the airport after a nine hour flight and feeling hunger pangs so terrible that they convince me I am on the verge of starvation; after returning quite late at night from an all day wine tasting session, the stomach begging alternately in French, English and Hebrew for some junk with which to fill itself, or, of course, when my daughter visits because she adores take-away pizza.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby James Roscoe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 pm

In suburban America this is a frequent phenomenon, especially if you live near large urban centers in the northeast or California. We do it about once every two weeks or so. Pizza and Chinese are old stand-byes, but let's not forget Mexican, sushi, Thai, B-bq, and soul food! Mmmmm! And I only hit the tip of the iceberg.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby Robin Garr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Quite rare for us, the sole exception being a very good local pizzeria that can be counted on to produce a quality pie on short notice on those nights when we're not going out and I just plain don't want to cook.

My answer would change to "two or three times a month," however, if I included the "doggie bags" that we very often take away after restaurant reviews. I gather that this practice is considered de trop in much of Europe, but in the US it's both appropriate as a way to avoid the choice between gluttony and wasting food.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Scott Lancer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:51 pm

A couple times a week for lunch, and occasionally at any hour they're open when I drive by Country Sweet Chicken and Ribs.

For lunch generally a sandwich or similar, and occasionally a gumbo or chicken enchillada soup form the place across the street from my desk.
Scott Lancer
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner