anyone been to the hague?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

anyone been to the hague?

Postby Doug Z » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:48 am

no, im not on trial at the international court of justice....

but i am going there for a conference...

so not including coffee shops, anyone know where a man can get a decent meal?

(and it has occured to me that the only 2 places in the world that i know, that are prefixed by the definite article, are THE hague, and THE bronx. there has got to be some connection...)

in the meantime, im still in the tel aviv.
Last edited by Doug Z on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Re: anyone been to the hague?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:03 pm

Doug, Hi...

Den Hague is a city that one either adores or of which one despairs. I am one of those who enjoy the city thoroughly for not only is Den Hague a center of intellectual life, it is also a city in which one can stroll endlessly, find fine cafes in every neighborhood, has a choice of good (but beware, expensive) restaurants and a fine cultural life.

As to restaurants, among my own favorites:

Calla's: Laan van Roos en Doom 51a. A relatively new arrival on the scene, a warehouse that has been converted into a posh, modern restaurant and featuring fine food in a relaxed atmosphere. Among best bet the lamb chops with coriander, the tart of bacon and Parmesan cheese and any of the dishes based on trout.

Wox: Buitenhof 36, Tel 365 37 43. A most pleasant brasserie featuring traditional French dishes with a distinctly Asian influence. Great place for wine as many are offered by the glass. Consider taking a place at the bar, doing a wine tasting with nothing but first courses.

More important than anything, however…….no matter at which hotel you are staying, you must visit the Hotel des Indes, the city's most elegant hotel. There is a restaurant but that not so much for meals as for either high tea (magnificent) or during the evening hours to the lounge for modern French cuisine with distinctly Far-Eastern touches (always well prepared).

And of course there are dozens of those little Imbis - joints or street side standsin the streets as you walk, many offering truly fine sausages and beer – not to be overlooked.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:15 pm

lordy, is there anywhere in the world where u havent been?

thanks and i will print this out and bring it along with me.

my conference venue is the Steigenberger Kurhaus Hotel on the Scheveningen beach, although im not sure what that exactly means vis a vis town center.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:35 pm

...lordy, is there anywhere in the world where u havent been?

In Europe, Australiasia and North America, not to many. To borrow a line from Lee Marvin: "I was born under a wandering star".

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Trevor F » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Yes, loads of times.

Scheveningen is the seaside end of The Hague, a short drive ( but mind the cyclists ) or a tram ride away from the centre of The Hague, although I was last there about 5-6 years ago. Looking through my expense reports from that time on 24 Sept 2002 I ate at Visserie de Dagvisser at 26 Dr Lelykade, tel number +31 (0)70 350 0593. This is situated around the inner harbour of Scheveningen, along with several other fish restaurants. I had matjes herring to start with, followed by baby soles with a white beer and paid 23.25 Euros. See http://www.debesomming.nl/dagvisser/index.htm

Around 1996 I also had a good fish dinner at a hotel just up the coast towards Katwijk but I've thrown away the expense vouchers from that time and I can't remember the name.

In general Dutch cooking is rather turgid and unimaginative, even a step down from English cooking. OK if you like your lunch from a choice of 200 different cheese slices, or croquettes.

With reference to Daniel's observations on Imbiss stands with beer and sausages, I think you may find these about 170 miles to the east in Germany. I've never come across these in Holland - herring stands maybe, but not sausages.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:43 pm

Trevor, Hi.....

Next time you visit Den Hague if it is an Imbiss you want, stroll to the area of the Royal Palace. Directly opposite, to my eternal sorrow is a branch of McDonalds but just a bit to the left and right of that horrid hamburger haven you will find several little old men and little old women in their stands selling excellent sausages.

As to Dutch cookery in general, I might agree but let us keep in mind that these are the people who have given us our concept of what modern Indonesian food is all about. I also believe we will find an increasing number of excellent restaurants combining traditional French, Indonesian and Far Eastern ingredients and cooking methods with a great level of success.

Perhaps we can agree though that the very best knockwurst and bratwurst in the known universe are those to be found at the Imbiss opposite the Hauptbahnhof (main railroad station) in Weisbaden?

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner