Dim Sum/Ahi source?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Dim Sum/Ahi source?

Postby Christine Cross » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:43 am

After 4 months here, the food I miss the most is Dim Sum. Does anyone know if the big Tiv Taam in Netanya carries it? I saw soy sauce, etc on the shelves, but we are not generally big frozen food people so I haven't explored the freezer aisles yet.

I'm also interested to know if anyone has bought sashimi-grade Ahi there? How was it? I saw a recipe for a Salade Nicoise with seared Ahi that I just can't get out of my head and thought would make a good weekend dinner.

If anyone has another source for either of these, I'd certainly welcome it! We are in Caesarea, but hubby works in Haifa, so anywhere Haifa-Netanya will work...
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
Christine Cross
Wine geek

Re: Dim Sum/Ahi source?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:32 am

Christine, Hi and Welcome to the Forum.....

With regard to ahi or yellowfin tuna - difficult to come by unless you're in the restaurant trade but sometimes available at Tiv Tam. As to how close the tuna in question is to true ahi, that is as difficult to say as is the cut known as toro. My own attitude has always been not to buy in the markets at the prices that are demanded but that, I suppose, is a question of one's personal preference.

As to dim sum, various ma'adaniot (delicatessen shops - singular is ma'adania) do carry dim sum from time to time. A bit of hunting is in order and best bets will be in Tel Aviv and Herziliya Pituach.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Christine Cross » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks! I will take a cooler with me next time I take the train to Tel Aviv :-)
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
Christine Cross
Wine geek

Postby Michelle Nordell » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:13 pm

I remember seeing Dim Sum at Tiv Tam. I can't tell you how good it is though. I miss good Chinese food and Dim Sum, too! You could always try to make some yourself. I make Tibetan Momos. It is a bit time consuming, but well worth the effort. And, much better than anything you can get here.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner