Culinary Poll #006: Who Do You Love?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Culinary Poll #006: Who Do You Love?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Simple enough this week … Do you have a restaurant that you consider a favorite? One at which you feel especially comfortable, where you dine well and to which you return frequently and leave satisfied on a regular basis. If so, what is that restaurant and why does it so please you. … The more details the better….
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Culinary Poll #006: Who Do You Love?

Postby Robin Garr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 am

For me it's the L&N Wine Bar and Bistro in Louisville, my home town. While it's not one of the city's top tables, it boasts a 54-unit Cruvinet (allegedly the largest made) and an additional 50 or so other wines available by the glass, a total of more than 100 wines available at fair prices by the 2-ounce tasting glass, 5-ounce dinner glass or by the bottle, plus an extensive bottle list; all chosen by a fellow who's close to achieving the Master Sommelier rating and assisted by a wine-savvy staff. It's located in a lovely old building, once a farmhouse that's now near the center of the city, comfortably renovated and designed, with an American bistro-style menu from a good chef who carefully treads the line between comfort food and creative riffs; all priced in the comfortable middle range that makes it a reasonable option for dining out any time, not merely a special occasion.

I've reviewed it several times on my LouisvilleHotBytes.com restaurants site ... here's the most recent:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=156
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Matilda L » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:11 pm

If you come to Adelaide, join me at Cafe Michael 2 in East end Rundle Street. It's a Thai restaurant. They have the best green chicken curry in town. The menu is shorter than at many Thai restaurants, but everything I've eaten there is good. The waiters are bright young men and women who remember your face and chat with you.

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Leanne S » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Were you thinking about Tu b'Av? What happens on Tu b'Av? I only know vaguely it's supposed to be Israeli Valentine's Day?
Leanne S
Ultra geek

Postby Ryan M » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 am

Buca di Bepo.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Leanne, Hi.....

Truth is that even though the holiday of Tu b'Av was recently celebrated, it did not enter into my mind for this poll ... at least not on a conscious level. So help me, Dr. Freud, I was merely thinking of restaurants we love.

As to the relationship between St. Valentine's day and Tu b'Av.......stretching it a bit as the first is dedicated to a 3rd century saint who, among other things, is said to have risen from his grave after his martyrdom at the age of 66 to appear at the bedside of his wife who, nine months later gave birth to a son. Tu b'Av on the other hand is just a wee bit less pagan, and although consider a holiday for lovers, traces its roots to the days of the days of the Second Temple when this was the date that marked the symbolic onset of the grape harvest.

No problem though.....I love pagan holidays.

Best
Rogov

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:42 am

As much as I'd like to list "a" favorite, I cannot in good conscience do so. Not because I'm shy, but because there are too many restaurants in too many cities that I adore and to which I return so often that each of them would have to be listed as first among equals. Certainly in Paris, at least a dozen; in Tel Aviv, four; in Florence, two; in New York City no fewer than eight or nine; and on and on and on.

As I've commented before, I'm somewhat like the leprechaun in Josha Logan's play, Finian's Rainbow:

"When I'm not near
The girl I love,
I love the girl I'm near"

Believe me though, there are advantages to being fickle....

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Shel T » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Truth is Daniel, couldn't possibly answer this question as posed, as several co-equal faves fall into this category for my wife and me and are visited according to that evening's craving.
Ethnically, pretty diverse, 1 Mexican, 1 French, 2 Italian, 1 Thai, 1 Chinese, 1 Indian, 1 Japanese, 1 Californian, and at least 1 purely American. Oh and don't want to forget 2 different delis.
The food more than the wine is more important, because in the less wine oriented places, we'll bring our own.
LOL, this is probably of no help at all!
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Shlomo R » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:50 pm

Mike's Bistro on West 72nd between Broadway and West End Avenue in Manhattan. Mike is an old schoolmate (1st thru 12th grades), he keeps a friendly and attentive staff, and he produces thoroughly enjoyable dishes. I'm not sure how many times I have been there - it only happens every few months, but it is definitely our "favorite" restaurant. When we go, I tend to indulge, we get a personal visit from Mike himself, and we always enjoy the food.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Yael L » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:38 am

Don Corleone in Helsinki, Finland.They have the best pasta in town and other yummy things as well...
Yael L
Just got here

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner