Indian Chicken Masala recipe ok for lamb?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Indian Chicken Masala recipe ok for lamb?

Postby Ryan M » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:50 pm

Hello All,

I've got one of those prepared Indian spice blends, in particular for Chicken Tikki Masala. I'm wondering if this could simply be used as directed, but with lamb instead. ANy thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Re: Indian Chicken Masala recipe ok for lamb?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Ryan, Hi.....

Presuming you purchased this spice mixture in the USA, there is a good chance that the ingredients are listed on the package. Tell us what they are and we will tell you what to eat.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Robert J. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Throw caution to the wind and go for it. It can't be THAT bad. Hell, it may even be spectacular.

rwj
Robert J.
Cowboy

Postby Maria Samms » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 am

Ryan,

I bet it would be great on lamb...I often curry left-over leg a lamb and it comes out wonderful. What cooking method did you plan on using for the lamb?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
Maria Samms
Picky Eater Pleaser

Postby Ryan M » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:39 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:Ryan, Hi.....

Presuming you purchased this spice mixture in the USA, there is a good chance that the ingredients are listed on the package. Tell us what they are and we will tell you what to eat.

Best
Rogov

I forgot to grab it or jot down the ingredients at home, but here's what I remember: sunflower oil, coriander, cardomom, cumin in the mix (that's not a complete list), to which you add ginger, tomato paste (or maybe sauce), and fresh cilantro (once again, not complete).

I ask about this for lamb because we're getting together with my wine-drinking buddy par-excellence, and we're going to do an Indian meal, but all the spice mixes we could find were for chicken, so I wanted to see about changing it up a bit.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Ryan M » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:39 am

Maria Samms wrote:Ryan,

I bet it would be great on lamb...I often curry left-over leg a lamb and it comes out wonderful. What cooking method did you plan on using for the lamb?

Pan-simmered.
Galileo Galilei

Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Postby Robert J. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Like I said, dude, throw caution to the wind.

rwj
Robert J.
Cowboy

Postby Shel T » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Here's proof you're not alone in your thinking! A link to a BBC rec for lamb tikka masala, and there are many others if you check it out via google.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab ... 7599.shtml
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:52 pm

The spice mixture should work just fine with lamb. You will probably have to cook the lamb longer than you would chicken.

Go for it, and let us know how it turned out.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Ryan M » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:06 pm

So, ended up with half lamb, half chicken, and in fact cooked together. Both very good, although I think a better cut of lamb would have improved it (we used stew meat), and I think lamb is better suited by the cream/yogurt based Indian dishes.
Galileo Galilei

Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner