In praise of corn dogs

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

In praise of corn dogs

Postby Ryan M » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:26 am

Yesterday I had the chance to go to the Indiana State Fair as part of the group representing the Astronomy department for the Fair's "IU Day." One of my greatest guilty pleasures if fresh dipped, fresh fried corn dogs. And there I discovered that they had them in regular and foot-long varieties. So, I got my foot-long corn dog, and lordy, lordy (as Rogov would say), what a glorious thing that was. Highlight of my week. Been dreaming of it since. Yum!!!!!

So, who else shares my guilty love of corn dogs?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Re: In praise of corn dogs

Postby Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:47 am

I made hundreds, if not thousands, of hand-dipped corndogs at various state fairs (when I worked for my uncle). We made really good ones that were never pre-manufactured and frozen, and we got many compliments. That said, I've eaten maybe two during my fair experience (I'm not a carny; I'm a fairy). I don't particularly like them, but--hey--different strokes.

My friend likes them so I made a "special" one for him once for a joke: a quadruple-dipped and fried corn dog that must have weighed two pounds. Needless to say, he didn't try it.
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:03 am

Ryan Maderak wrote:So, who else shares my guilty love of corn dogs?

I always have to get one every year at the fair, and the Kentucky State Fair is coming up later this month. Hey, maybe I'll have TWO!
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby ChefJCarey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 am

A good corn dog is a good thing.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
ChefJCarey
Pastafarian

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 pm

So long as it starts with a good hot dog, I love them. .....And not the least bit of guilt to accompany them.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Matilda L » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:31 am

So what's a corn dog? I am imagining a hot dog sausage covered in corn kernels. Is that it?

Matilda
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:14 am

Matilda, Hi.....

A corndog is made by impaling a hot dog on a wood skewer, coating the dog (can also use knockwurst) in the same kind of batter used to make cornbread and then deep frying it in hot oil. The pleasure of the corndog is, of course, based on the quality of the hot dog (ideally all veal or beef or a combination of beef and pork) and the freshness of the deep oil being used. With corndogs or, for that matter, any kind of hot dog, those made with chicken or turkey meat are to be scorned.

Best
Rogov

corndog.jpg
corndog.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby ChefJCarey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:48 am

Now there's a handsome corndog.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
ChefJCarey
Pastafarian

Postby Charlie Dawg » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Would somebody Please post a recipe for the corn dog. If posible it should not have Milk or any dairy in it. I'll surprise my wife, she loves them.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Charlie, Hi....

We're running into one of those famous kashrut problems here and that because the batter for cornbread and thus for making corndogs relies on either milk or buttermilk. If a substitute must be used I would suggest avoiding Rich and trying soya milk. My guess is that the deep frying will somewhat reduce the flavor differences. At least I would hope so…..

Best
Rogov

1 cup milk or buttermilk (for kashrut see note above)
2 eggs
1/4 cup peanut oil
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/3 cups cornmeal (coarse corn flour)
2/3 cup all purpose flour
about 1 dozen hot dogs (ideally all beef or beef and veal)
1/2 cup flower for dusting the hot dogs
oil for deep frying (pre-heated to0 375 degrees Fahrenheit)

In a large mixing bowl combine the milk, eggs, oil and sugar, mixing until the mixture is completely smooth. Sprinkle in the baking powder, corn meal and flour and stir well making a moderately thick batter.

Remove the hot dogs from their wrapper and dry each well on paper toweling. Dust the hot dogs with flour, coating well and then insert individual wood skewers lengthwise through each hot dog. Let the hot dogs rest for about 15 minutes and then holding by the skewer dip them one at a time into the batter, swirling until nicely coated. Let the excess batter drip off and then gently drop the dogs into the batter while holding on to the skewer, taking care not to burn your fingers. Once immersed release the skewer and fry, turning once or twice just until the batter is nicely puffed up and lightly browned. Let the excess oil drip off onto paper toweling and serve hot with whatever condiments you have chosen.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Robert J. » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Of course, they were first made at the State Fair of TEXAS. 8) The Frito Pie (there were no beans in the original version) was first made at the State Fair of Texas, too.

I love corn dogs.

rwj
Robert J.
Cowboy

Postby Charlie Dawg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Thank you Rogov. I have been using non-dairy coffee creamer insted of milk. It's working fine for baking and deep frying. At least at has been so far. Will try on the dogs.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Ron C » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Mmmm... corn dogs and mustard!
Ron C
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner