The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner with friends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Dinner with friends

by Florida Jim » Wed May 03, 2006 5:58 am

With grilled veggies, grilled shrimp, grilled chicken, sliced tomatoes and oven fries, the following wines were served:

2002 Tamellini, Soave Classico Anguane:
Expansive aromatics of spicy pears and hints of citrus with an undertone of stone; authentic in the mouth with green chili hints to flavors that follow the nose with depth and concentration; long, powerfully flavored finish. A lively, complex and stimulating wine full of character.

2004 Vincent Delaporte, Sancerre Chavignol:
Young but classic Chavignol with a hint of perm solution on the nose, great textures and cut in the mouth and a solid finish. Although, Sancerre is not a personal favorite, this was very well executed.

2004 Dom. de la Janasse, VdP Principaté D’Orange Terre de Bussière:
A reticent yet attractive nose of the southern Rhône; very fine and precise in the mouth with perfect balance and complexity, satin textures and extremely fine tannins that all but disappear; a long, complex finish. So harmonious, balancing the best of rusticity with the best of refinement. A great experience for $12, and one I will buy a lot more of.

1990 Silver Oak, Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley:
Too much dilly American oak for me but this wine is chocked full of expressive fruit and herb tones, well balanced and resolved, and, it does not dry out on the finish. Definitely not my style, but for those more wood tolerant than I, this is the wine for your next steak.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars