The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Domaine Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

fjlosada

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:33 pm

New York

WTN: Domaine Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape 2001

by fjlosada » Mon May 01, 2006 5:50 pm

Mostly grenache, with some syrah, mourvedre, cinsault, counoise and muscardin. Medium deep ruby red color. Aroma of cherries, fresh cut flowers and some sweaty leather. Medium body and slightly hot, 14 % abv. Dark cherries, roasted plums, provencal herbs and liquorice. Slightly drying tannins. It will improve within a couple of years, although I don't believe this is a long term ager. Medium finish. Very nice, better with food.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Domaine Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape 2001

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 02, 2006 9:38 am

At the risk of sounding dogmatic, I'll suggest that most CdPs should be left alone from years 5-8 after harvest as they traditionally shut down fairly hard. I've heard some talk recently that recent vintages don't seem to behave that way, and certainly your notes don't read like those of a dumb wine. Nonetheless, a few more years will probably do good things for this wine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Domaine Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape 2001

by Jenise » Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 am

Fernando, thanks for the note--I have a few of these in the cellar and haven't tried one yet. Notes like this help keep itchy fingers away. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov