The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

This and that

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

This and that

by Florida Jim » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:32 am

2004 Pepiére, Muscadet:
Bright, crystalline, thirst-quenching, stony juice that was perfect on a 90 degree day.

2004 Terres Dorees, Fleurie:
Bright, crystalline, red fruit driven, mineral accented Fleurie that is so fresh it wakes-up the taste buds. Yummy!

2004 Martinsancho, Rueda:
Every once and a while, you get to introduce someone to something they’ve not had before. This wine was a strong hit (as in, may I please have more?) with three pretty sophisticated tasters who hadn’t even heard of it prior. It was also a hit with me with great concentration, an oily texture, intensity, lots of spicy peach and grapefruit flavors and scents, and, a terrific finish. A mouth filling, superb verdejo.
(For those who have not tried this wine, I urge you to do so. You may not like it [my wife doesn’t] but it is such a unique, authentic expression of Rueda, it is, at least, worth the try. And it usually can be found in the $10-15, range.)

2003 Dom. de Cayron, Gigondas:
There is complexity, funk and fruit . . . but its all in some sort of “wine on steroids” package that makes it unattractive and, after a sip or two, something for the dump bucket. Not my style.

2003 Dom. du Joncier, Lirac:
Such a contrast from the foregoing wine . . . restrained on the nose and palate with an almost salty minerality, a silken texture, super-fine-sandpaper tannins and a really lovely, sweet fruit delivery that is more about elegance than power; long, nicely balanced finish. At $12, this is head and shoulders above the Cayron at $20 – for me.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars