The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Italian Reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: Italian Reds

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:26 pm

A group of winelovers gathered at I Trulli in NYC this past Monday night. The food was delicious and the wine service was first rate. We had three flights of three wines, and the wine guy had labeled each of our glasses prior to pouring - the best way to keep track of the wine.

With our assorted antipasti we had
1997 Fattoria le Terrazze Chaos Marche IGT - a blend of Sangiovese, Merlot, and Syrah. A very modern style and a good beginning with its cherry pie nose and ripe plums on the finish. I noticed the mid palate was weak, but, otherwise, very tasty.
1997 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli - this had to fight to be noticed after the Chaos. It has the stuffing to be strong, but right now, it is tightly wound. However, I thought the nose to be incredible - so animal and Rhonelike. I'd like to try it again in about 5 years.
1999 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Altero - lots of fruit with ripe cherries and some chocolate. Good, but a little thin on the end.

With our assorted pasta of orecchiette with a duck ragu, and cavatelli with broccoli rabe and chopped almonds
1997 Tenuta Caparzo Brunello di Montalcino - had strength at the beginning, but quickly fell apart and turned thin and acidic.
1995 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino - I got mostly sour cherries and not much else. It definitely needed food.
1990 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino - a nice mineral nose leaving off with a tart finish. Some fruit, if you searched.
I found this flight was a study in acidity, and in most of the cases, it was a struggle to find the fruit and structure to balance the acidity. I was disappointed and I usually like Brunello.

With our entrees of either braised rabbit or rack of lamb
1989 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Bussia Soprana - in one word...seamless. It boasted a mineral nose with ripe berries that followed through on the palate. To me, it's what I look for in Barolo, and just beautiful to enjoy with food.
1989 Pertinace Barbaresco Vigneto Castellizzano - it was similar in certain respects to the Conterno, but it didn't have the lush nose of the Conterno. I would be happy to drink it on its own.
1997 Gaja Sperrs - wow! blueberry and mineral nose and palate, mouth coating and a finish that goes on and on. Oh so young, but very, very good. It was a fabulous wine with which to end our dinner.
Diane