The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A slighty disappointing Felsina Chianti Classico 1999.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A slighty disappointing Felsina Chianti Classico 1999.

by Tim York » Thu May 31, 2007 3:27 pm

FATTORIA DI FELSINA BERADENGA CHIANTI CLASSICO 1999

This is the basic Chianti Classico (not Riserva). Of course it is neither Rancia nor Fontalloro but, nevertheless, I found it a bit disappointing compared with my memories of 1996, 1997 and 1998 particularly in view of the stellar reputation of the vintage.

C: Medium deep and still youthful with no hints of bricking at the edges. (Cork shows no ullage but is stained up to two-thirds of its length.) N: Promises dark fruit with some depth of body but initially disfigured by a stink of not very fresh eggs (reduction or sulphur?); towards the end of the bottle the stink had mostly disappeared. P: After the promise of the nose, disconcertingly lightweight and lacking in depth but showing nicely refreshing bright fruit and notable minerality with the authentic Chianti tang. Good length and elegance and no longer tight like most younger Felsina. Enjoyable but I was expecting more.

Of course the basic 1996 was particularly good because it benefited from no Rancia nor Fontalloro having been made that year. However in 1997 and 1998 both the top cuvées were made, yet I recall the basic CC in both years as having been deeper than this. 2000, 2001 and 2004 are still waiting in my cellar; I am curious to taste how they turn out after similar ageing.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A slighty disappointing Felsina Chianti Classico 1999.

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 31, 2007 3:34 pm

I've had this a few times over recent months & it has always been even better than the '97. Surprising.
Decisions are made by those who show up