The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner with Howie and Larry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

WTN: Dinner with Howie and Larry

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 7:49 pm

This past Sunday (April 29th if I confuse anyone such as Cynthia), the Roscoe clan played host to our esteemed Buffalo correspondent, Howie Hart and his friend Larry (I forget his last name. Howie! Help me out here! :oops: :oops: ). I was lucky enough to receive SIX wines from the Hart winery. (Yes, anyone is invited to drop by and I will share.) In exchange, Howie and Larry each received a fresh loaf of Jeannette's homemade bread. It was meant to be whole wheat, but some boneheaded husband bought the wrong flour! :oops: :oops: (Why are the embarassed emoticons suddenly a theme?)

We began the day with a little Cremant de Bourgogne, Louis Bouillot, "Perle d' Aurore" a lovely rose I picked up for about $12 a bottle on sale at a local place. We repaired to the deck with some cheeses and sat in the beautiful April sunshine soaking in the lovely creamy yeastiness of this wine along with the strawberry and zesty lemon flavors. The lialacs were in bloom. The trees were all that delicate green and my labrador retriever insisted on having us throw the ball for her. All in all, a perfect way to start the afternoon. (Larry, a non-drinker, had a wonderful Sierra Mist, April 2007. This had lovely bubbles and great lemon-lime flavors. He seemed very pleased with this choice. At .$99 for two liters, I would definitely buy this again! :roll: )

Jeannette, a great cook, prepared steak with a teriaki marinade, potato salad, and fresh asparagus. The thought still makes my mouth water a little! To accompany the dinner I opened a red table wine from the Manousakis winery in Crete called Alexandra's Notos from the 2004 vintage. This is a blend of 40% syrah, 40% mouvedre, and 20% grenache. The nose was very Rhone-like. There was a lot of funk. In fact there was more barnyardy smells on this wine than on many Rhones I've had. It was very pleasant and earthy. There was also a lot of fresh fruit coming through on the nose. This wine really delivered. The palate lived up to everything on the nose. Lots of fruit and earthy flavors balanced with great tannins. I got this for under $15 on sale. I think it regularly sells for just south of $20 and I would say it was worth that price and maybe a little more. I enjoyed it a lot. It paired well with the steak.

We couldn't finish without pulling the cork on one of Howie's wines. We opened up the cabernet franc 2005. This was marvelous. It was similar to many of the good Virginia cab. francs I've had. This was a little more balanced with acidity which makes it better to drink with food. It definitely rocked with the steak and especially the potato salad.

Rhubarb cake was for dessert, but we were all pretty worn out by that time. It would have been perfect with the cremant. Jeannette did a fabulous job, as always. Howie and Larry drove off to BWI airport and I toddled off to chat where I ended up falling asleep at the keyboard! :oops: :oops: It was a great day. Howie and Larry are always welcome at the Roscoe house, without the wine, (Although....it can't hurt with the chef.) Thanks again to Howie for the wine and to Larry for being a great guy![/b]
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: WTN: Dinner with Howie and Larry

by Paulo in Philly » Thu May 03, 2007 8:16 pm

What??? No Italian wine???? <gasp> :shock:

Looks like all survived the Roscoe household and a great time was had! 8)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 8:26 pm

We had a great Greek wine! What do you want! :shock:

It was a great afternoon. Anytime the Paulo Show rolls into town, he will be shown the same hospitality. Heck, I might find an Italian wine or two to try. :wink:
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 pm

James Roscoe wrote:We had a great Greek wine! What do you want! :shock:

It was a great afternoon. Anytime the Paulo Show rolls into town, he will be shown the same hospitality. Heck, I might find an Italian wine or two to try. :wink:

How lovely! But let me remind you that the Greeks called Italy "ENOTRIA" - land of wine! Dontcha know your history?????? 8)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 8:32 pm

What are you going to do. It was an interesting wine and my wife doesn't like Chianti. The other stuff is too expensive or not right with steak. I will admit, I am low on Italians in my cellar. You have any to give me? :lol:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu May 03, 2007 9:23 pm

James, on behalf of my friend, Larry Neville and myself, the dinner and hospitality were beyond compare (mmmm rhubarb cake). The loaf of bread was excellent and despite getting a bit squished in my luggage, I managed to have consumed the whole loaf by myself by Tuesday. I also enjoyed the yeastiness of the Cremant de Bourgogne and that wine from Crete was an eye opener - very nice. BTW - the Cab Franc was made from grapes from Niagara-On-the-Lake, Ont. It would have been nice to have visited longer, but airlines are particular about schedules. We did manage to get to the airport with enough time to spare to see the Sabres lose to the Rangers in overtime at the airport bar. :(
Thanks again to James and Jeanette. I will have to make the trip to DC again someday, as there was so much I didn't get a chance to see.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu May 03, 2007 9:30 pm

Hey, Howie! I hope you had a good and meaningful visit to the memorial!