The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Pomerol and Armand Rousseau 2001s

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTNs: Pomerol and Armand Rousseau 2001s

by Saina » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:12 pm

Filet of beef with mushroom risotto - as unimaginative as it may be, it always works with young tannic wines. It's always difficult to find good cheap Pomerols. At 20 euros, I think this was an excellent buy.

• 2001 Château Haut-Maillet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (4/22/2006)
    Quite dark, some rim. The nose is quite lovely: fresh plums, dark toned fruit, some vegetality. It is quite tannic, but the ample fruit hides them. But the loveliest aspect is the great acidity and herbaceousness which makes the wine so fresh and long! Not complex, but approachable now. Good!

I haven't been drinking enough this week (been jogging too much). It's been much too long since I've had a red Burgundy, so today due to both lack of wine in general and lack of Burgundy in particular, I could have killed to get a sip of Burgundy. Gladly I didn't have to as I had some at home. This should have been closed like so many 2001s are at the moment so it should have been foolish to open it. But I am glad I did for two reasons: it wasn't closed. Quite the contrary: it was lovely. And it had evidently suffered some heat at some point as the cork was saturated - but this was in no way adverse as it didn't taste cooked, but perhaps a few years advanced (which in this case was just good). I really love Rousseau's style and 2001s also. Lovely treat!
  • 2001 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (4/22/2006)
    Light coloured as Pinot should be. A very classic scent of beet root, lingonberry, seabuckthorn and earth. The palate is sweet, a bit more extracted than I would have hoped, but it does have lovely acidity and bitter berryness. Long. Very good.

Posted from CellarTracker