Wine Century Club

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Wine Century Club

Postby Dan Donahue » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Any one else working on the list? I just updated mine after 9 more months of experimenting. So I've tried 74, have another 31 on hand and am actively searching for about 16 new grape varieties.

Biggest disappointment: Portugieser--a thin German red.
Biggest surprise: Chasselas--my first Swiss wine.
Favorite new grape: Pigato--my preference runs to red wine, but I really enjoy these slightly obscure Italian whites.

I should qualify in a year or so, if Dawn's patience holds up. She'd much rather drink our PN's and Syrahs. :D
Dan Donahue
Ultra geek

Re: Wine Century Club

Postby Jenise » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:31 pm

Not working on a list per se, but I never pass up the opp to taste something new. Last weekend it was a Ruche from Italy. A guy who has a little wine shop was pouring it, and he was totally loving it--said he had just two more bottles and he loved it so much neither were for sale. Lots of raspberry flavors, but a whiff of vinegar which put me off but which no one else seemed to even notice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:46 pm

I started filling in the application about a year ago, Dan. I'm up to 102 and know I've had some others but I'm only taking credit for ones I have a written note about.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:06 pm

I had no idea what this was so I googled it. I'm happy to say that from the list provided I had gone through 77 different grapes (not all in varietal wines though) and there were quite a few which weren't on the list which I have tried (like Belgia and Alphonse-Lavallé: great grapes, very noble, LOL!!). Interesting idea. I love trying odd grapes and regions.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.

No longer ITB.
Otto
Musaroholic

Postby Dan Donahue » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:12 pm

Bill--did you send in for your certificate. I think this is harder to do than it sounds.

Otto--I opened a very good '02 Feudi Greco di Tufo this weekend, so I've added one more to my list. The race is on.
Dan Donahue
Ultra geek

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:28 pm

I was up to 114 when I quit tracking it. I had at least 5 that were not even on the list (at the time). Have they added Regent, Bacchus or Albalonga? They were not there when I had a copy.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:39 pm

Dan wrote:Bill--did you send in for your certificate. I think this is harder to do than it sounds.
Not yet. I'm waiting until I'm up around 110 or so.
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum