The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So how does your cellar break down?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: So how does your cellar break down?

by Mark Lipton » Wed May 02, 2007 12:08 am

Bill Spohn wrote:My cellar is a living organism, changing to suit my taste and market conditions. I have stopped buying Bordeaux. I no longer buy California wines. I have increased purchases in other areas.

For the record, Bill, what are you buying these days? Your posted notes mostly refer to Bdx and CA still (reflecting purchases made long ago usually) with the occasional Rhonish bent. Are you now exploring Antipodean wines? Inquiring minds and all that...

I am not enough of a number nut to feel any need to quantify the distribution, nor use it to guide future purchases.

Similarly, I have no interest in what other people may have in their cellars, any more than I worry about how many pairs of socks they might have - the thought is quite foreign to me. I don't gauge my wine hobby by what others do.

To each his own.

Indeed. I have a bit of prurient curiosity as seeing a cellar distribution gives some indication of a person's preferences. OTOH, I have no desire to see people on this forum comparing cellar sizes or trophy wine collections. In fact, that's why, after computing the sizes of Jay Miller's and Bob Ross's cellars as proof of principle, I decided not to post the numbers. Of course, it had nothing to do with any fear of being wrong...

Mark Lipton
Previous