The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Yet more notes from the cellar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Yet more notes from the cellar

by John S » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

• 2015 Domaine Rolet Trousseau Arbois - France, Jura, Arbois (2024-04-17)
    A love child of pinot noir and Mt Etna rosso? I really enjoyed this wine, a cerebral, medium bodied wine that had strong cherry, raspberry, gravel and tar notes with firm but ripe tannins on the finish. A great wine to recalibrate your palate. Didn't really change over two nights. (A-)
  • 2020 Blue Mountain Chardonnay Alluvium Reflection - Block 32 - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2024-04-14)
    This is one of the best BC chardonnays I have tried. It straddles the Old and New World, and the old versus modern forms of chardonnay styles skillfully. No butter notes here, the fruit is a combination of citrus and stonefruit realms and there is just enough oak (and light butterscotch) to let you know this is a chardonnay. Some concentration, great balance, nice acidity, harmonious, elegance too. The great 2020 vintage helps too no doubt. Nice now, but this should improve in the short to medium term. Well done, glad I have more. (A-)
  • 2018 Orofino Vineyards Syrah - Canada, British Columbia, Similkameen Valley (2024-04-12)
    At first I thought I had opened the Orofino gamay, as this wine had a lovely blast of fruit, low tannins and mainly red fruit. But a hint of savory notes appeared and the 'syrahness' came into focus a bit. This has aged well, with the medium bodied fruit being very integrated now. It isn't a 'look at me' wine, but more a laid back, homey wine. It still has some time I think, but it was drinking very well now. A comforting, subtle and harmonious wine, if not very syrah-like. (B+/A-)
  • 2015 Château de Lancyre Pic St. Loup Vieilles Vignes - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Pic St. Loup (2024-04-08)
    I stumbled upon this wine in the cellar - I thought I had drank all of my bottles several years ago. I wasn't sure what I'd find, but this had held up very well. Medium bodied, quite elegant, a velvety texture and a nice mix of savory and fruit. Mainly cherries, game, leather, plums, iodine and a slight herbal note. Great QPR as always; too bad this wine isn't in our monopoly system anymore. Probably at peak soon. (A-)
  • 2002 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile - France, Alsace (2024-04-06)
    Had with a 2001 and 2011 bottle, this was a steely, minerally, very dry version with some citrus and apple notes. Crisp, intense and refreshing. (A-)
  • 2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile - France, Alsace (2024-04-06)
    My last bottle, unfortunately this showed deep bronze in colour, and while it didn't taste oxidized, it was definitely poxed in some way. It was a shell of what is should have been. NR (flawed)
  • 2001 Domaine Tempier Bandol Cuvée Spéciale - France, Provence, Bandol (2024-03-28)
    Classic Bandol and Tempier; drank over two nights. Still quite dark in colour, with a lovely, rustic nose of red fruits and a whack of earth and leather. More red fruits (cherry in particular), tons of game and leather, slight herbal notes on the rich, full bodied, concentrated and velvety palate. A fair bit of sediment too. In a very good place now, but will last too. This is more savory than fruity, as it should be. Great bottle. (A-)
  • 2020 Mission Estate Winery Syrah Jewelstone - New Zealand, North Island, Hawke's Bay (2024-03-24)
    You would not mistake this for an Old World syrah, but this is an impressive New World example of the grape. Quite dark in colour, with a lovely nose of fruits (mainly red and blue) and some savory notes as well (violets, game and white pepper). These flow into the silky textured, medium to full bodied palate. Smooth tannins and some oak notes arrive in the back palate. Good intensity and concentration: a mouth filling wine. I agree with evanqian - young and gorgeous! (A-)
  • 2011 Januik Red Wine Reserve - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (2024-03-22)
    I liked this wine 5 years ago, but this bottle was pure oak juice. And not even good oak! Tried it over two days, but it was awful both days. This went down the sink. Not rated.
  • 2017 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (2024-03-14)
    This was an intense wine. Red fruited - cranberry, strawberry, cherry - with a real jolt of acidity, some tannins, slight bitterness and power in a medium bodied, electric wine. Very interesting and unique - loved this. (A-)
  • 2018 Orofino Vineyards Riesling Clone 21B Hendsbee Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Similkameen Valley (2024-03-14)
    This is ticking along nicely. Perhaps slightly less sweet than when I last tasted it, this is starting to integrate all its components. Just off dry now, still a mix of citrus and stonefruit, with nice acidity and a hint of minerality giving it a lift. No rush, but very nice now. (A-)
  • 2004 Château Fleur Cardinale - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (2024-03-08)
    This still tasted quite young at 20 years old. Vibrant red and black fruit, slight tannins, concentrated, nicely balanced. Not too complex though, but it’s a nice midweek claret. (B+/A-)
  • 2018 SpearHead Pinot Noir Cuvée - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2024-02-26)
    Drank this over two nights. This was a fairly rustic pinot, with mainly cherry and strawberry notes on the medium bodied palate; slightly scratchy tannins give it structure, and nice acidity lifts it; there are some slight oak notes still as well. This still has some time left. (B+)
  • 2018 Sperling Vineyards Riesling Old Vines - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (2024-02-20)
    Same as my last note - this is a fine, very dry riesling that has great intensity and refreshment. Acid driven with citrus notes and minerality. Ready now, but will have a long life. (A-)
  • 2016 Château Doisy-Védrines - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (2024-02-19)
    Didn't take notes, but really enjoyed this (375 ml bottle) a few days ago. All the parts seemed to be integrating well already. Stonefruit and tropical fruit were there in great balance with the acidity, orange notes and tobacco. Dangerously easy to drink, glad to have another bottle. (A-)
  • 2019 Orofino Vineyards Riesling Wild Ferment Old Vines - Canada, British Columbia, Similkameen Valley (2024-02-19)
    Hazy notes from a couple of days ago. This was a great BC riesling that was open from the get go. This vintage was a dry style, which I liked. More savory than overt fruit notes, but there was citrus notes and scrubby minerality that seems to occur in the Similkameen region. Very refreshing on the medium bodied palate and gaining a little richness or slight creaminess compared to earlier tastes; but the acidity is at the forefront. This will last quite a while. Lovely! (A-)
  • 2020 Meyer Family Vineyards Chardonnay Tribute Series - Terry Threlfall Old Main Road Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Naramata Bench (2024-02-15)
    Hazy notes from two days ago. A nice chardonnay, with a good mix of creamy and oak flavours and textures, but also with enough reduction, acidity and citrus fruit flavours to keep things balanced. The only thing that keeps it from being better is a lack of concentration that occurs in so many BC wines. Often the yields are higher than in many (thought not all) other regions. A sweeping generalization to be sure, but often true to my palate. (B+/A-)
  • 2007 Pierre-Marie Chermette Fleurie Les Garants - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (2024-02-14)
    I stood this up for a few days and drank it over two nights. it was quite light in colour at first, but got darker as I emptied the bottle, with a fair bit of sediment. Earthy cherries and a hint of brett on both the nose and on the light-medium bodied palate. Healthy acidity on both nights, but balanced with the fruit (which seems to be dropping). OK, but definitely time to drink up. (B)
  • 2018 JoieFarm Riesling "En Famille" - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (2024-02-10)
    Pale gold in colour, nice nose with some complexity (fruit and savory notes), with a concentrated, medium bodied palate with a mix of citrus and stonefruit flavours and a touch of mint; a bit of a rounded texture but with lively acidity and finishing just barely off dry, with a long finish. A very good BC riesling. This was the last year Joie got grapes from a 1978 planting at St Hubertus - perhaps this was linked with the concentration. Great now but will last. Sorry it's my last bottle. (A-)
  • 2017 Familia Zuccardi Malbec Concreto - Argentina, Mendoza, Valle de Uco, Altamira (2024-01-09)
    I admit I'm not a huge fan of Argentinian Malbec. This was quite dark in colour (deep purple). The nose was interesting, a mix of black and red fruits and a slight herbal note. Medium to full bodied on the very concentrated palate; slight tannins add structure. I appreciated the lack of oak. This is certainly an interesting malbec, different from the 'normal' Argentinian malbecs; but the size and concentration of the wine allow for little complexity. Still it is impressive in its own way. (B+/A-)
  • 2008 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2024-01-04)
    Brought to tasting. Tried on opening and it was quite lean and acidic. After about 3-4 hours, it had opened up nicely. Some complexity, red fruits and some balsamic notes. Still young and ungiving. (A-)
  • 2020 Morandé Chardonnay Edición Limitada Black - Chile, Malleco Valley, Traiguen (2024-01-02)
    Hazy notes. A nice chardonnay here, with a fair bit of cashews, some oak and nice acidity via some citrus and stone fruit. Elegant with some complexity. (A-)
  • 2021 Culmina Family Estate Winery Grüner Veltliner Unicus - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (2024-01-02)
    Didn't take notes, but this wine was very well received. Intense flavours, good acidity, nice concentration, an interesting BC gruner. (A-)
  • NV Doré Champagne Premier Cru Brut Ludes - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (2023-12-24)
    Another nice bottle, nothing fancy but a well balanced wine, with a little bit of all things nice - acid, fruit, bready notes, richness and elegance. Great QPR on the sale price here. (B=/A-)
  • 2016 Tinhorn Creek The Creek - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (2023-12-20)
    Deeply coloured wine, with a big nose of oak and black fruits, a hint of red fruit and a floral note. On the medium-full bodied palate, the oak is quite prominent, with the rich black fruited notes there too as well as some oak spice notes. A little better on the second night, but still too much oak (40% new oak noted on the back label). I think they were shooting for a big bruiser style here, and they went too long on the second rate new oak. (B-/B)
  • 2010 Nik Weis / St. Urbans-Hof Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2023-12-13)
    Oxidized. NR (flawed)
  • 2019 Henry of Pelham Riesling Speck Family Reserve - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Short Hills Bench VQA (2023-11-26)
    Hazy notes from last night. This started out with a blast of somewhat sweet fruit (a combination of citrus and stonefruit) and then became dry or perhaps just barely off dry on the nice sleek finish. Some minerality on show too on this medium bodied riesling. Always a well made wine with good QPR. (B+/A-)
  • 2018 Greystone/Grey's Peak Pinot Noir - New Zealand, South Island, Canterbury, Waipara (2023-11-24)
    I was again impressed by this pinot. In our market, this is a great QPR. A nice silky texture, medium bodied, with cherries and other red fruits and a hint of savory notes. Well balanced and harmonious. Drinking well now, but no rush. (A-)
  • 2015 Jean-Maurice Raffault Chinon - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (2023-11-18)
    This was a light bodied, bistro version of Chinon, with red fruits (cherry and even strawberry) and a slight vegetal note on the nose and palate. Simple but tasty, some tannins give it a bit of grit on the finish. (B)
  • 2008 St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra - Australia, South Australia, Limestone Coast, Coonawarra (2023-11-17)
    Last of three bottles, and the best (of course). This is still a bit of beast, a big, rich, concentrated wine with a very dark colour, and a nice, classic nose of black fruits, mint and herbs. Full bodied on the palate, with a bit of cedar as well and the still healthy tannins giving excellent structure; big, but well balanced overall. A classic Coonawarra cab that has a long way to go yet, but worth trying now, as it improved a bit on the second day. (A-)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN - Yet more notes from the cellar

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:02 pm

An oxidized 2010 German Riesling? That seems bizarre.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:38 pm

A lot of good BC wines there. I haven't tasted any of the new Blue Mountain chardonnays, though I own quite a few of the pinots thanks to Bill. Your note is very intriguing. Interesting to see that the Culmina GV is coasting along, mine are long gone. It's a revelation to find a Smaragd quality GV in BC--none I've tasted from California, Oregon or Washington come close--they might as well be albarino or pinot blanc. I loved that wine and made a special trip to the winery just to buy a few bottles.

Re the Orofinos--thanks to you I own that reisling. Opened one a few weeks ago for the seasoning of that choucroute garni and enjoyed the rest of the bottle a few days later. Like the GV, closer to the real thing than any other west coast version of that grape I've had. And I own a '20 syrah which I'm looking askance at after opening a 2020 Culmina syrah that was all smoke. Both were wines I picked up at wine stories forgetting all about fire years and not trying to avoid them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 pm

After long turning my nose up at BC wines, I started visiting the area more and now own quite a few bottles. It's a great place to visit, as you know, with some great hiking and scenery, some good wineries and good food too.

I thought 2020 was not a fire/smoke vintage in BC, one of the few recently. The Okanagan managed to miss the big US fires in 2020 that affected CA, OR and WA so much. It's seen as one of the best vintages in the last 10 years or so. I haven't come across any smoke notes (yet) from that vintage. But I buy mainly white wine, so that might be the difference.

The color of the St Urbans-Hof was the first clue, and the palate was very oxidized. I waited for a day hoping for a miracle, but it didn't improve.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

My bad. It was the '18: my TN says "was this as fire year? This wine's full of smoke" and someone responded that it was. My Orofino's safe!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

John - if you have any 2005s from St. Urbans-Hof (or Zilliken, or Selbach, or Dönnhoff, or Lieser…) get into them soon. Turns out 2005 is not for keeping except from a small handful of producers.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 pm

I only have a few 2005s left, mainly Auslese, although I hear it wasn't only noble rot on the grapes that year. But hoping for the best!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm

It's not the botrytis that's the issue. For some unknown reason that particular vintage is just not keeping.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm

Nice notes John. Too bad about the '01 CFE,
David, interesting. I have a number of 05s (including Zilliken, Donhoff on your list), will be doing some cellar sorting and will put them on the consume shelf.
(weird/funny side note- just checked CT for my 2005 Riesling (didn't specify German). Noticed that CT was valuing Nikolaihof Riesling Smaragd Vom Stein at over $1K! Really, $40ish bottle. I'm assuming someone entered in wrong currency)