The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cab Franc, Albarino, CabS, Aglianico, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Cab Franc, Albarino, CabS, Aglianico, etc

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:18 pm

Saturday was no wine after long flight, Sunday friends invited us to meet them at Spadoro in New Rochelle, a fave of theirs where we had never been. Very old school, the waitress recites the possible dishes, no menu. We shared everything- eggplant with a pistachio sauce, grilled octopus, rigatoni lamb ragu, “white” bucatini all'Amatriciana, and a veal chop. All very good.

The wine list was also recited, less fun with wine than food. The Murgo Etna Rosso was adequate (B-), the Verbo Aglianico del Vulture was a hot mess ( C ) . And markup (no idea on price till bill came) was easily 3-4X retail.

Monday grilled red snapper, oysters, & trumpet mushrooms, and made bok choy, But no wine.

Tuesday grilled Korean marinated chicken, salad, rice, and the lovely 2021 Baudry “le Domaine” Chinon. Light but with good persistence, with crunchy red fruit and herbs, long chalky finish. Just what I’m looking for in $20 Cab Franc. B+

Cod baked with cherry tomatoes and shallots, rice, baby Shanghai tips with oyster sauce.
2022 Leirana Albarino
Grapefruit, lemon cest, good acidity but with a nice round finish. B/B+

On a rainy night while solo, ostrich filet, Momofuko scallion/soy noodles, and more shanghai tips. I had a bottle of Bordeaux as backup as expectations were that the 1994 Frescobaldi Mormoreto might be dead. It wasn’t, but still contemplated opening backup, but eventually didn’t. It was quite alive, but confusing, This is Tuscan Cabernet, but if you served it to me blind and gave me a dozen guesses, I’m pretty sure neither Tuscany or CS would have figured in my stabs in the dark. Sweet light cherry and red plum fruit, lighter weight, pleasant flavors but not much on finish. Would I have guessed Gamay, Alsace PN, Zweigelt? Dunno. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Cab Franc, Albarino, CabS, Aglianico, etc

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:14 pm

I have heard a lot of good things about 2021 Baudry. If only I had any cellar space at all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Very old school, the waitress recites the possible dishes, no menu...
The wine list was also recited, less fun with wine than food... And markup (no idea on price till bill came) was easily 3-4X retail.

Ouch. Sounds annoying.

So was it a short list that she recited from top to bottom. Or were you supposed to ask questions about particular areas of interest.

Either way, annoying.

And I was reminded of that at Chambers this past week, where the markup hovers around 2x retail (sometimes less), and I hope it allows them to sell more wine and make more money. It's certainly more refreshing from a consumer perspective.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:40 am

White amatriciana? Did they just add cream to the standard?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:04 am

No cream, onions guanciale and cheese. Amatricana bianca is the original version, pre-tomato, apparently still common in Lazio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amatriciana_sauce

Rahsaan, always happy ordering off list at Chambers