The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Good Italian Whites....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Good Italian Whites....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:02 pm

Had these two whites last night w/ Susan:
1. Buglioni Lugana Musa Dd'OC: Lugana (12.5%; typical grapes of Lugana; Wildon Daniels/Napa) Buglioni/Lonato del Gardo/SanPietro in Cariano 2020: Med.gold color; rather stony/mineral quite floral/perfumed/dandelions/gardenias light perfumed talc/chalky lovely fragrant nose; lightly tart/bit metallic somewhat floral/dandelions/gardenias bit mineral/chalky/perfumed flavor edging up to bland territory; med.long floral/mineral finish that follows the flavor; a quite pleasant white at a very attractive price; pretty/nice white that is pushing up to the border of bland. $21.00 (KK)
2. Mandirola Timorasso Derthona Dd'OC: Colli Tortonesi (13.5%; The Piedmont Guy/Shafer/MN ) Mandirola/Casasco/Piemonte 2022: Med.gold color; lovely very fragrant/Timo/floral/honeyed/honeysuckle slight almondy/R-like slight mineral/stony rather complex beautiful perfumed nose; lightly tart/tangy very rich/lush quite floral/Timo/honeysuckle bit almondy/mineral/stony/perfumed talc rather complex flavor; very long/lingering finish mimics the flavor; a rich/lush beautiful expression of Timo w/ a bit more perfumed/floral character than most Piemonte whites; shows a richness & lushness that resembles somewhat a Roussanne; a pretty stunning Timo at a great price. $29.00 (SFW&S)
1. Lugana is a DOC on the South shore of Lake Garda. The traditional grape variety is Trebbiano di Lugana that has recently changed its name to “Turbiana”. Since Trebbiano does not have a good reputation. DNA indicates that Turbiana has not characters in common w/ the Trebbiano family. It appears that Turbiano is closely related to Verdicchio or may be the Lugana adaptation of Verdicchio.
This was one of he best Lugana whites I can recall, but just seems to lack a certain pizzazz & distinctiveness.
2. Timo: This was a new producer to me that showed up on the shelves of Susan's FW&S this weekend. I, of course, had to try it. I was pretty much blown away by it. Better than most Timo I have tried. Better than any Walter Massa's or IlColombera that I've had. If it can be faulted for anything, it would be the intensity of the wine and maybe a bit short on minerality. But it's a pretty amazing expression of Timo. I would love to try more from that producer's portfolio.
After I tried it, I looked at the back label and saw it was imported by ThePiedmontGuy up in MN. A few of his wines have been showing up here in NM & I've been mightily impressed with all I've tried thus far. Those folks appear to know a thing or two about Piemonte wines. Their portfolio is not loaded w/ a lot of big names and they seem to be doing a terrific job of ferreting out lesser known quality producers in the Piemonte. I'm hoping their lame distributor here in NM will bring in a wider selection of their wines.
Tom