The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: About last night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: About last night

by Jenise » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:26 pm

Had dinner last night with a few couples. The hostess served proscuitto-wrapped pork tenderloin and everyone invited knew this. Nonetheless most showed up with oaky/gobby new world cabernets--and then proceeded to drink the pinot I brought instead. I love these people but I am mystified by their wine choices. Here are the best of the night:

2016 Dutton Estate Pinot Noir Karmen Isabella Dutton Ranch Russian River Valley
Two years since my last bottle and this has evolved into the Chevillon-ish Burgundian beauty I believed it would. Not decanted, and perfectly ready on the first pour, it was ruddy dark red in color with sensuous cherry and spice, and of course perfect with the food. At peak now but should hold awhile.

2016 Spring Valley Vineyard Frederick Walla Walla Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Evolving well with big tannnins but it needs more time or at least a rare steak. Best of the big reds though it totally clobbered the main dish. In deference to this month's theme, I will mention finding a 2020 Fidelitas M100 cabernet sweet, seriously over-oaked and therefore undrinkable.

2022 Dilao Rkatsiteli Mtsvane Dry Amber Wine Kakheti White Blend, Georgia
Orange wine that is a 50/50 blend of Rkasitelli and Mtsvane. Aged and fermented in qvevri. Beautiful amber gold. Heady aromas of wildflowers, pineapple guava, cantaloupe, almonds and the incense wafting out of the backroom of an Arab souk. All that on the palate too, rich and racy at the same time. Absolutely mesmerizing. I have a headache this morning because our host left the bottle too close to me and I couldn't leave it alone. Serve at room temperature, not chilled. Was purchased for $22 Friday at a local wine shop and this morning I went to that store's website to buy some--already sold out. Much deserved.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: About last night

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:34 pm

Hmm…of course I know more than a few people who think Cab goes with everything.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: About last night

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:25 pm

p.s. I am about to have Cabernet Sauvignon with Indian food, but doing it for the WLDG theme. Otherwise I probably would have grabbed a Gamay.
Decisions are made by those who show up