The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Life is a Cabernet-2003 Duhart-Milon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Life is a Cabernet-2003 Duhart-Milon

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:02 pm

• 2003 Château Duhart-Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/1/2024)
    Hard to believe this is a 2003. Maybe it’s the effect of later, climate changed wines, but this does not feel so outsized or “solar.” There is definitely a lot of runway left, as the fruit is still prominent, and there’s a finishing dash of tannin that does more than just provide structure. Some developed character is creeping in around the edges, with hints of leather and cedar, but overall this still feels youthful, which is hard to believe for a 21 year old wine. Glad I have more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Life is a Cabernet-2003 Duhart-Milon

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
  • 2003 Château Duhart-Milon - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/1/2024)
    Hard to believe this is a 2003. Maybe it’s the effect of later, climate changed wines, but this does not feel so outsized or “solar.”...

I don't know this wine. But yes, it is crazy how different 2003 looks, given everything that has come afterwards! It's a completely different paradigm.

I've been talking about this the past week especially, because I was at the Dressner tasting and revisited various Loire producers I haven't really drunk that often since the early-mid 00s. Now the wines are so much more polished and 'modern', although still with good freshness. But that rustic verve I first fell in love with is no longer there! (I wonder if I would even like those wines today, but my nostalgic side is free to say yes!)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:54 pm

The world has changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:18 pm

Rahsaan wrote: But yes, it is crazy how different 2003 looks, given everything that has come afterwards! It's a completely different paradigm.

Nicely observed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov