The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cool Evangelho article & photos

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Cool Evangelho article & photos

by Patchen Markell » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:22 am

It's Spring Break and I have a lot of grading to do, so... I'm reading up on historic California vineyards. Jancis's website has a cool article by Chris Howard from a couple of years ago that gives a terrific picture of the history and social setting of Evangelho, which I knew was in Contra Costa County somewhere, but I didn't know exactly where. It's at the eastern edge of Antioch, tucked between a big power plant on one side and a subdivision on the other. This is familiar to me because I grew up in partly a different but not much different part of Contra Costa, and I know this landscape well: the high-tension power towers, the long commercial strips dotted with low-rise auto body businesses and self-storage facilities, with the buzz of Highway 4 probably audible in the distance, and Mount Diablo looming to the south. (Some of my earliest memories of the area involved driving out to the northeast side of Diablo with my mother, who was studying archaeology at UC Berkeley and worked on the excavation of an abandoned coal mining town, Somersville -- maybe around 1979.) From the article:

Paradoxically, Evangelho’s saving grace is not its cult following, but the function it serves for the PG&E power plant. Jake [Neustadt, viticulturalist at Bedrock] explains that the vineyard exists, and will continue to exist because PG&E wants it to continue serving as a buffer to housing developments [...] It’s less about heritage than insurance liabilities, but such is heterotopian life.

If you like this sort of thing, or just want to see the pictures: https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles ... california
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Cool Evangelho article & photos

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:56 am

It really is an interesting site. Morgan and Chris (Bedrock - now the owners) discuss it quite a lot during their podcasts about upcoming releases, as well as the viticulture discussions. The wines are also distinctive, and have a clear site signature.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: Cool Evangelho article & photos

by Patchen Markell » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59 pm

I think it was D&R that first turned me on to what was special about the site, but yes, now that I know it, you can really pick it out across many winemakers. I feel about podcasts the way you feel about Sauvignon Blanc, though, so this is all news to me. :-)
cheers, Patchen