The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dave McIntyre: The Definitive Word on Wine Storage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Dave McIntyre: The Definitive Word on Wine Storage

by TomHill » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Just showed up in the WashPost. In which he trots out all the trite shibboleths on what you need to do for proper wine storage:
[McIntyre:WineStorage](https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/202 ... mperature/)

Just your usual crock of $hit. We find out that wine is a "living thing". Well,,, "living" in the same sense that is a piece of iron rusting in the air. If the wine is "living" (active biological growth) it probably a natural wine and a wine I want to have nothing to do with.
We find out that a wine you store too long turns to vinegar. I've yet to have an old wine that was vinegar (high VA/EA level) unless it went into the btl w/ an active acetobacter culture present.
We learn that wine does not like to be stored in the presence of vibrations because wine does not like to be jostled.
This is the kind of crap that gives wine writing such a bad reputation. McIntyre should be ashamed to have his name on this article.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Dave McIntyre: The Definitive Word on Wine Storage

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

You were already properly admonished elsewhere, so I won’t get into the details, but the article was not for you. Your criticism is completely off base.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

So.....

by TomHill » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You were already properly admonished elsewhere, so I won’t get into the details, but the article was not for you. Your criticism is completely off base.

So, David... just because the target audience is wine newbies, it's perfectly OK to feed them a bunch of BS that has no basis in truth?? I fully realize the article was not meant for me. But newbies deserve better, much better, than this piece of crap.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Dave McIntyre: The Definitive Word on Wine Storage

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

Except it wasn’t crap. You may not have liked the language, but would you prefer he state things in ways that normal people can’t understand like say Tom Hill does?
Decisions are made by those who show up