The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I Pastini Faraone Verdeca Puglia '20....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: I Pastini Faraone Verdeca Puglia '20....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 am

Tried this wine last night w/ DinDin:
1. I Pastini Faraone Verdeca IGP: Valle d'Itria (12%; www.IPastini.It; 100% Verdeca grape; KermitLynch/Berkeley) Puglia 2020: Pale yellow color; very slight floral/carnations/Verdeca some earthy/loamy/coarse/bit herbal slight dishwater/funky/plasticizer (that clears off) rather rustic nose; bit soft slight tangy/metallic rather earthy/loamy/coarse slight floral/carnations almost watery rather dull/uninteresting flavor; short light watery finish that follows the flavor; a pretty bland/dull/somewhat watery w/ little fruit; makes Thompson Seedless wine look good. $22.00 (AV)
1. Verdeca is a rather rare & obscure grape grown mostly in Apulia, plus a few other spots around Italy. It is thought to have originated in Puglia. It was also grown on Sicily for use in production of Vermouth. It is a late ripener that is often used in blends to add some youthful character.
Founded in 1996 by the Caparelli family, it is dedicated to the resurrection of the ancient native varieties of the Valle d'Itria. They have quite an interesting portfolio that I would like to explore more of.
Based on this data point of one (us Los Alamos types can make grandoise extrapolations from just a single data point....sometimes from zero data points), the grape deserves to wallow in its obscurity for the rest of its life.
Tom