The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Mousse and a Givry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A Mousse and a Givry

by Jenise » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:58 pm

2015 Famille Moussé Champagne Special Club Extra Brut Rosé de Saignée Les Bouts de la Ville Pinot Meunier
Rewarded ourselves with this on the patio after the first day of yardwork this season. Rusty pale red color, minerally-almost-earthy and savory (when they say Extra Brut, they really mean it), with hints of red currants, rhubarb and mint. A very unusual, but satisfying, rose.

With smoked pork chops, black truffle grits and red-eye gravy:

2014 Domaine Joblot Givry 1er Cru Clos de la Servoisine
The last one we opened about a year ago was susprisingly mature in both color and flavor so, natch, I thought it safe to open this one at the last minute and it was the total opposite of the earlier bottle. Dark, earthy and rich, with significant tannins and none of the brett mentioned by others. Needs time or at least a few hours' decanting. I'll leave my remaining bottles alone for awhile.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A Mousse and a Givry

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:34 pm

Extra Brut is becoming Extra Brutier IMO. Moussé still fits my palate, but there are some who are going to austere for my tastes, and especially Laura’s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:04 pm

This is easily the driest rose bubbly I've ever had. How often do you drink a bubbly and pause to say "this needs food". I don't believe I ever have before last night.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:53 pm

Jenise wrote:This is easily the driest rose bubbly I've ever had. How often do you drink a bubbly and pause to say "this needs food". I don't believe I ever have before last night.

Well we always have some sort of food with it anyway, so never have to say that.
Decisions are made by those who show up