The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ready to try some German GGs — recs?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Ready to try some German GGs — recs?

by Patrick Martin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:46 pm

I just had a terrific dry Riesling (Austrian) and it made me resolve to finally try some German GGs. I’ve hitherto been put off by the perception these are all quite pricey, but I see some GGs for reasonable rates ($30-$50), from addresses I know like St. Urban-Hof, Von Hovel, Zilliken, Grunhauser, Schäfer-Fröhlich.

Where to start? If I like the off-dry wine from a given Weingut, will the GG also be good?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Ready to try some German GGs — recs?

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:50 pm

Just like with the off-dry wines, there is a wealth of objectively high-quality German GG wine, and much of the debate will be about your personal tastes. The value proposition is not as strong as with the off-dry wines, but not much you can do about that.

I don't know if you'll necessarily always like the GGs from the producers where you like the off-dry wines, because you might be looking for different things in dry and off-dry wines. But, the same overall stylistic/geographic logic usually holds. MSR GGs are crisper than Pfalz and Rheinhessen GGs, etc.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:52 pm

Also worth noting that some producers excel at both dry and off-dry, others are stronger at one as opposed to the other.

I would just start buying wines and drinking them, depending on your interests. As always!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:54 pm

On your list the only one I've bought many GGs from is Schafer Frolich (love them), but had a very good Zilliken Rausch. Besides GGs might look of course at other trocken wines. I used to love the Keller von der Fels as less expensive alternative to their (great) GGs, but it's getting pricey too.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Besides GGs might look of course at other trocken wines...

Indeed. GGs are the Grand Cru wines, so unlike with the pradikat wines, you might look to Burgundy as a reference point for deciphering the dry wine options. And you might want some info on whether the particular GG will show well young, because like many Burgundy Grand Crus, they can be backwards in youth.

There are some single-vineyard trocken wines that could be considered the equivalent of Premier Cru in Burgundy. But more often the next step down will be a village-level trocken that will not be as complex but could drink well young and be an attractive option, depending on what you are looking for. Then there are also regional trockens, equivalent of Bourgogne Blanc.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:59 pm

I do like many GGs, but the pricing drives me to Austria. That said, my current favorite is the Shafer-Frohlich Kupfergrube.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Patrick Martin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:16 pm

Cheers, chaps. This is very helpful. Most of what I see is pretty young and it sounds like many of these need a good 10 years or so to show their best, but I’ll give a few a try now to get a gauge on the styles.

It has been ages (2008?) since I had a trocken, I should look for those too.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:25 pm

Thanks from me too, this is super helpful.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:28 pm

I'll defer to David and especially Rahsaan who have certainly had more than I have, but while they may (should) take a while to show their best, I've never run across a GG that is totally shut down like Burgs, Bdx, or off-dry Riesling can be.
And remember while all trockens aren't GGs, all GGs are trocken.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

And a lot of GGs are close to the edge of trocken with 6-8 g/l or RS, which is another reason I skew Austrian if I want a truly dry Riesling.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Patrick Martin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm

I’m sure my palate has evolved a lot since 2008, but the main reason I haven’t had a full trocken in so long was the one I had back then (2001 Fritz Haag Riesling Trocken) was too shrill and austere for me to want more. So maybe a slightly richer GG style will appeal.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'll defer to David and especially Rahsaan who have certainly had more than I have, but while they may (should) take a while to show their best, I've never run across a GG that is totally shut down like Burgs, Bdx, or off-dry Riesling can be...

Interesting. On the last point, I would have said that off-dry riesling is more likely to be accessible throughout the lifecycle because the sugar makes it friendly.

But, more broadly, I agree that one shouldn't be too dogmatic about an entire category needing years of age. As always, it depends on the wine and one's palate.

I've enjoyed plenty of young GGs, and will continue to do so. I wouldn't say stay away in general. But I've also had plenty that were not showing much when young. Depends what you're looking for on the occasion, and the specific wine, like any regional category.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:35 pm

Patrick Martin wrote:I’m sure my palate has evolved a lot since 2008, but the main reason I haven’t had a full trocken in so long was the one I had back then (2001 Fritz Haag Riesling Trocken) was too shrill and austere for me to want more. So maybe a slightly richer GG style will appeal.

Yes, a 2001 basic trocken from the Mosel will be very different from a 2022 GG from the Rheinhessen!

More guts in the GGs, but also variation across producers. Germany has so many regions, you can get the full range of dry wine styles to suit any mood!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:49 pm

Patrick Martin wrote:I’m sure my palate has evolved a lot since 2008, but the main reason I haven’t had a full trocken in so long was the one I had back then (2001 Fritz Haag Riesling Trocken) was too shrill and austere for me to want more. So maybe a slightly richer GG style will appeal.

Mosel dry wines have evolved significantly since then. I still prefer dry wines from Nahe, Rheinhessen, and Rheingau, but Mosel Trocken and GG wines are not just for masochists anymore.