The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gran Turismo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Gran Turismo

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 pm

• 1987 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (2/2/2024)
    Thank goodness this was a better bottle than the one I opened three years ago. This bottle came from my late father’s cellar. It was a birthday gift to him nearly 20 years ago, but he never opened it. One the first anniversary of his passing it seemed appropriate to open it. After successfully dealing with the brittle wax on top, the cork came out in one very solid piece. So did an aroma of saddle leather and cherry preserves. A touch thin and jangly on the palate at first, it fleshed out after thirty minutes to be balanced, old wine. I put the bottle aside for ninety minutes to prep dinner (actually pick up takeout), and then settled in for a full glass with my meal. The depth had increased threefold and the fruit freshened. It also developed a dusty, herbal overtone. Medium-bodied, impeccably balanced, and incalculably long, after another hour I was reconsidering having opened it. There still upside here. Ultimately though, it was nice to enjoy the wine over a few hours, remember my dad, and enjoy a nice Friday evening with my biggest supporter, my wife.

Please open your good bottles. Open them with friends. Open them with family. Open them with a burger at In-n-Out Burger with Paul Giamatti. Just open them.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Gran Turismo

by Jenise » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:57 pm

Amen on that.

And though I know you regret that he didn't enjoy when and as you intended him to, it's nonetheless cool that you have these bottles to remember him with. That's pretty special.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov