The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Texier Cote Rotie vertical, plus Champagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Texier Cote Rotie vertical, plus Champagne

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 pm

A nice crew gathered at John's for a Texier CR tasting. He had a nice spread of cheeses and charcuterie out, and greeted us with the 2010 Ployez-Jacquemart Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut. Delicious, pears and croissant, with apple blossoms and flinty minerality. Fine mousse, long finish. A-

To table

2015 Chambeyron-Manin Cote Brune Cote Rotie
Tiny producer with good rep, but this spoke more of the ripeness of the vintage than CR. Big black fruits dominate, others liked more than I did. B-

2010 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Very young, bright ripe fruit, needs time but will be excellent I think. B+/A-

2007 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Earthy, rich, bright acids, long future ahead but really drinking wonderfully. A-

2005 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Black fruits, a touch of soy, a ferric note. Younger than it’s flightmate (‘04), but a little less interesting to me, B

2004 Texier Cote Rotie VV
First bottle was DOA, second was very mature, but actually wonderfully complex. Dark fruits, pepper, a touch of grilled meat, long fascinating finish. A-

Dremont Ephemere 011 1er Cru Champagne
I believe this is some form of partnership with Savart, but I didn’t care for this. There was a strange note that reminded me of celery seed, then someone said the top/stem of a Driscoll strawberry and I think that nailed. It. C+

2015 Paul Gadiot Precurseur 1er Cru Champagne
(a relative of Ponson, who helped make). Delicious, steely but not austere, crunchy white fruits and elegant mousse. B+/A-

Duck breast with cherry/citrus sauce, green beans, buttered potatoes

2001 Texier Cote Rotie VV
I like this , but it a little volatile. Black cherries and berries, pepper, olive. B/B+

2000 Texier Cote Rotie VV
I think I liked more than others, fully mature , exotic nose with spices and meat, nice length. A-

1999 Texier Cote Rotie VV
Very nice, slightly lifted, more olives and herbs than fruit, but long and complex. A-/B+
NV Gosset 15 Ans de Cave a Minima Brut
2016 disgorgement, late 90s vintages. This is a little less fresh than another bottle, the almond notes more pronounced, very full style, some oxidative notes, room divided on it. I liked didn’t love. B

Very good night with good people

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Texier Cote Rotie vertical, plus Champagne

by Salil » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:08 pm

Great lineup, thanks for the notes. Glad for the reference point on the '10 - I have a bottle of that (plus more recent vintages that are nowhere near ready to drink). I haven't often bought the Texier CR - for both price and availability, tended to focus more on the Brezeme and St. Julien en St. Alban vieille serines wines in the past.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:31 pm

Wow. Would have loved to be at that tasting. I never bought the CR, but had a few opportunities to drink it mostly thanks to Thor. Always liked it a lot.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:42 pm

I also buy more Brezeme. The only Texier CRs I own are 2007 and 2017