The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgs, Ciro rose, Morgon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burgs, Ciro rose, Morgon

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:16 pm

While I was having a dry spell, Betsy needed some cooking wine. When I returned to wine I tried the 2021 De Negoce OG 379 Collio Friulano. Thin, saline, brisk, fairly short but for $8 cooking wine ok. B-/C+

Betsy made chicken piccata, I opened the 2008 Piuze les Clos Chablis GC. More mature than other recent bottles, a distinct nutty oxidative note, but still some underlying fruit, minerality, and tension. Maybe slightly on downslope but still pleasurable. B

Next night she made shrimp in a rose sauce, with rice and collards. I wasn’t drinking, but next night tried the cooking wine, the 2022 Ippolito Ciro Mabilia rosato. Pale rose, strawberries and seashells, nice length, fun wine. B/B+

Pork tenderloin with mushrooms, Okinawan sweet potato, spinach
2021 Antoine Sunier Morgon - light and bright, cranberry and cherries, quite herby. The green tones take me a little while to warm up to, but I end up liking a lot. Nice balance with acid and a bit of tannin, but I think I’ll drink these on younger side. B++

(skipping Fri at John’s for separate post)

Sousvide duck breast, broccoli, sweet potatoes. I gave the 2005 J. Voillot Volnay Vieilles Vignes a solid hour in decanter before dinner, and it helped immensely. Tight on opening, with air the crunchy black cherry fruit emerged, with floral notes and a hint of coffee. Midbodied, medium length. B/B+

Oysters, lemon sole meuniere, beans (borlotti and cannellini cooked with parmesan rind, topped with fried sage and rosemary), and Brussels sprouts.
2020 Ramonet Bouzeron
I am a guy who likes acid, and I expect Aligote to be acidic, but jeez this was sharp. Biting acids, lemon and not much else. I like Ramonet but for me at moment this is too much. C+ for drinking now.

2020 Patrick Javillier Clos du Cromin Meursault
A lot of oak, but nice balance of sweet pear fruit and moderate acids. Godo length, pleasant. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Burgs, Ciro rose, Morgon

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:55 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Sousvide duck breast, broccoli, sweet potatoes. I gave the 2005 J. Voillot Volnay Vieilles Vignes a solid hour in decanter before dinner, and it helped immensely. Tight on opening, with air the crunchy black cherry fruit emerged, with floral notes and a hint of coffee. Midbodied, medium length. B/B+

Nice. This was a wine I followed for a while and as usual with Burgundy, it showed all kinds of ways over the years. I think my last bottle left me wondering if I would have enjoyed it more earlier. But it sounds like your bottle was tight and you think it still needs time to unwind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:18 pm

Not a wine comment, but food. I have two duck thigh/legs marinating with some wine, garlic and mandarin juice/zest. I was going to do a regular oven roast but now you just inspired me to start with sous vide for a tenderer result. Hmmmm.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:39 pm

Rahsaan, for me I thought on young side , but I like my wine older than most.
Jenise, how did they turnout? I don't think I'd ever done marinated duck legs SV, I once did confit (2 days!). I do like SV as a foolproof way to do breasts. My top 3 SV proteins are thick pork chops, salmon, and duck breast (unlike a lot of people I don't really groove on SV steak).
It's actually hard to find raw duck legs here, unlike breasts and whole. Was contemplating ordering from Costco (but you get 16), but just discovered that one (not all) of local Whole Foods says they carry Bell & Evans duck legs. Planning on visiting soon.