The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dead Irish Writers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Dead Irish Writers

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:33 pm

After too many years, finally got together with Salil again, and also Ken Vastola who I hadn’t seen in about 20 years. Salil provided some spicy smoked chickens and accompaniments, and Ken brought delicious cheeses and pate. And yes we drank some wine.

2022 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling (Clare Valley, Australia)
Ever wonder what it would taste like if you blended lemons and rocks, liquified them and added 12% alcohol? Well it would taste like this Riesling. Bracing and refreshing.

1995 Penfolds Grange (South Australia)
Hello mint! Did somebody blend a splash of Heitz Martha’s Vineyard into this? Still quite the beast in terms of weight, but very drinkable. The longer it was open the more the fruit emerged, but that mint note was always there. Delicious wine.

Ulysse Collin Champagne Maillons Extra Brut (2016 disgorgement)
Full toasty and full delicious. Piercing acidity that kept it fresh, and some fruit emerged after a half hour or so. I can’t really see the current pricing for these wines, but I really enjoyed this bottle.

1967 Giacomo Conterno Barolo
Ken graciously brought a birth year wine for me. It needed some time to stretch it legs, but eventually all the rose petal, pine sap (don’t call it tar lest Otto notice) and the sweetness that only comes from very old wines came together as a whole. The chicken, at least the less spicy bits, was a lovely foil for this wine.

2001 J. J. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese (auction bottling)
So incredibly fresh and delicate, yet also full flavored and complex. Captivating wine. After a couple of sips all I could think was “my God, it’s full of stars.”

1998 Dönnhoff Oberhauser Brücke Riesling Auslese (auction bottling)
Full botrytis spice with electric acidity keeping the high sweetness under control. On a mature plateau where it will likely stay for a very long time. Really hard to follow that Prüm, but the completely 180-different expression allowed this wine to claim its own spotlight.

Fantastic evening. And this was only night one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Dead Irish Writers

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:29 pm

Sounds like a great lineup, as one would expect with you and Salil involved.

And from your final sentence, it sounds like you woke up and did it all again the next day?!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:36 pm

We did!
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 am

Well, that was awesome. Just an incredibly fun evening where the wines were all stellar in very different ways, but each showing a clear sense of place, grape, and winemaking style. The Grange was a joy to sit and actually follow over a dinner. At first it was all structure (beneath those minty aromatics), but I was surprised at how much of it came from acidity. But it bloomed into a lovely wine.

The Prüm was well, just flat out wow. Still had some of the youthful spritziness I find in very young bottlings, but just an amazing array of flavor and depth. Lightning bolts in a bottle. I am very glad I have a few more, but I will probably not touch another for a decade at least given how young it felt.

The Conterno was another that's hard to put into words. The aromatic complexity, sense of seamlessness on the palate, that old wine sweetness - just wow. Ken has got me hooked on Nebbiolo since I moved here and that was a lesson in why I should be patient with the ones I'm buying. Really great seeing you again after so many years.

I finished up the leftovers of the Grosset last night (and the last half-glass of the Donnhoff) with some of the excess biryani. The Grosset continued to show wonderfully - perhaps not as complex/nuanced as I've found some other vintages, but I hope that will also come with time. But it held up very well.The Brucke was still electric (and still felt like a BA-Eiswein hybrid with that intense botrytis honey+spice combo, and those higher toned horseradishy/gingery notes I find in Eiswein).

I should note, btw, that I served the Donnhoff blind to David and he nailed both producer, vintage, and vineyard. Damn!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 am

I wasn't going to bring up my blind tasting prowess, but... :mrgreen:

So great to see you again, and also to connect with Ken and Amy. Fun times.

Notes from night two forthcoming.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:01 pm

Excellent blind tasting David!
And quite the lineup.
Can't spot any dead Irish writers though!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Excellent blind tasting David!
And quite the lineup.
Can't spot any dead Irish writers though!

I was playing off of Ulysee Collin vs. Ulysees by James Joyce, and invoking the title of one of my favorite West Wing episodes.

Sometimes I stretch it a little too far.