The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2012 De Toren Fusion V

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 2012 De Toren Fusion V

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:08 pm

2012 De Toren Fusion V - this may be unfamiliar to some - it is a blend of Bordeaux varietals - this is the blend from the recently released 2020 vintage and it is typical: Cabernet Sauvignon 53%, Malbec 13% Cabernet Franc 12%, Merlot 17%, Petit Verdot 5%.

If you are unfamiliar with it, you may want to look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzM76d-V_iI&t=2s
They are trying to make a replica of a left bank Bordeaux and are doing a pretty good job of it. By the way, it is pronounced more like 'Tooren' than 'Tore-n.

This example was very close to the Bordeaux ideal - so much so that I would likely have mistaken it for a claret if tasting blind. Good deep colour, a nose with modest vanilla/oak (clearly not American oak and likely treated very similar to Bordeaux barrels when being made. Blackberry aromas and sweet fruit on palate with a long smooth well balanced finish.

I find that I have nine vintages in the cellar. It would seem the thing to do, to hold a blind tasting of them all plus maybe a ringer from the Left Bank to even it out!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: 2012 De Toren Fusion V

by Jenise » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:36 pm

I do love those wines and wish I'd been buying them all along. You've opened a few and they've all been impressive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: TN: 2012 De Toren Fusion V

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:05 pm

Maybe we should do a tasting when the weather gets better. We could get two or three of the cooks to do up some South African food - we have an outlet near me that sells the products - https://africanbreese.com/

If we did the wines blind, the hard part would be picking a left bank Bordeaux that would fit in and be hard to pick out as the outlier.