The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any Port in a storm

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Any Port in a storm

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:48 pm

I'm a firm believer in the wine slant of that maxim, so what with the first major winter storm coming to New England I decided last night to open:

2000 Vintage Porto, Graham's

The first thing that I noticed is that the bottle was double sealed. There was the usual metal capsule, but under that was a smaller, tighter plastic capsule. This no doubt contributed to the sound quality of the cork, which was completely sound and sturdy and only slightly stained purple at the bottom. I'm used to having to exercise great care in uncorking 20+ year old vintage Port. The corks are almost invariable soggy and fragile and tend to stick to the sides of the bottleneck. I'm not proficient with an ah-so corkscrew, so I usually use a waiter's corkscrew very carefully. I've found that a screwpull merely drills a hole in the center of the cork. Port tongs work really well, but they're too much of a bother to use. I nearly always end up with some cork bits inside the bottle. But this time the cork came out pretty easily and all in one piece. Refreshing.

Visually the wine has lost the opaque purple color of its youth. It is still purple and young-looking, but translucent. The aromas are mature and complex, with a distinct smoky/roasted nuance. Graham's vintage Ports always have a touch of acetone aroma--usually more than I find pleasant. There's only a very slight and pleasant kiss of acetone in the 2000. In the mouth this is a classic great vintage Port just entering its plateau of maturity. There is only a slight touch of tannin. Flavors, sweetness, and acidity are in near perfect balance. An excellent example of Graham's and a wine that will continue to give pleasure for decades. Double Curly.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Any Port in a storm

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:23 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the update. I have a lot of 2000 Port (including a fair bit of the Graham's), and am always looking for a reason to check in.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:41 pm

Sounds great. Aged port is a treat, and reasonably priced for those of us who haven't been saving. But with so many treats in this world, I don't get around to this one very often!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:24 pm

I know I have a Grahams VP stashed away somewhere.. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:29 pm

I got a chance to taste mature vintage Port (a 1963, IIRC) in the late 1980s and I was hooked. I managed to get a good number of 1955s (my birth year) and a smattering of 1970s. I've followed Taylor, Graham's, and Warre in their declared vintages. 2000 was the last vintage Port I bought. I figured that I wouldn't live long enough to enjoy later vintages at maturity. I was able to snag a few bottles each of 1970 and 1983 Quinta do Noval Nacional from The Rare Wine Company for non-bank-breaking prices. Nacional fully lives up to its reputation. The 1970 is celestial. As of 5 years ago when I opened one, the 1983 wasn't mature yet. :shock:

I opened a 2000 Taylor at New Year's to see how it is coming along. It is not as evolved as the Graham's. I'd give it at least five more years.

-Paul W.