The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Tuscany

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Tuscany

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:00 pm

Very much enjoyed the whites. Loved the white Sangiovese, very fresh with pear and white cherry fruit, some flowers. Alvin's trebbiano had a very minerally Vit B6 nose, though that blew off somewhat. I'd be willing to bet that if one decanted that or simply pulled a cork 24 hours in advance, it would have filled out quite a bit--I don't think we saw everything it was built to deliver (I note that the retail on it was $90C). Re my Ansonaco, you mention oak but this was done in amphorae so somthing else was going on. It's also a wine that would benefit from more decanting (I decanted it at home for two hours that morning) as the remainder, which I took home, was even better later that night. It's a gorgeous wine.

We had a very enjoyable assortment of whites to start – not always the case, as in this theme people tend to gravitate toward reds.

Your Selvapiana was the best red of the day, I thought. That nose! My Melini was pretty good but definitely not in the same class. Fun coincidence to have two 95's, though. Can't argue with your notes on the rest. All good, a really great tasting. Btw, the Corbaia? I removed the cork that evening intending us to finish it as well but we were kind of wined out so it didn't happen. I forgot to recork--the next day? Oxidized. So it's at peak now.

Thanks again for hosting, and I agree with John's comment about Alvin's farro salad. Excellent!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: TN: Tuscany

by John S » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:00 pm

It was interesting to have three nice whites for this theme - I wasn't expecting that. It was also nice to try two varieties I haven't had before. I thought the 2021 Jurij Fiore & Figlia Lassù a Lamole was the best of the whites. Still quite young, I think it had a certain gravitas and think it would age well; not a great QPR though.

The 1995 Fattoria Selvapiana Chianti Rùfina Riserva Bucerchiale was one of the favourites of the day for me. A beautiful nose, and the palate was equally interesting - this seemed to be right in the peak zone now. Nothing out of place here. The 1995 Melini Chianti Classico Riserva Laborel wasn't at the same level as this wine. The 2015 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Gran Selezione Coltassala was a bit of a shock with its youth, but it was drinking well now, but it won't hit peak for a while.

Jenise's 2008 Castello Di Bossi Corbaia was another favourite of the day. The cabernet in this wine give it an interesting depth and richness, but it was still very Tuscan. My 2008 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo was drinking well too I thought. This is 90% sangiovese and 10% cabernet, so not really a super tuscan, but it had a nice complexity to it, even though it wasn't as fully open as the previous wine. I enjoyed the 2011 Barone Ricasoli Vin Santo del Chianti Classico Castello di Brolio with the cheese plate. I don't often have Vin Santo, so it was nice to be reminded of its charms.

Great tasting overall! The faro salad and beef was outstanding too!