The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Boekenhoutskloof and friends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Boekenhoutskloof and friends

by Jenise » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm

At a dinner party earlier this week:

2019 Boekenhoutskloof Cabernet Sauvignon Franschhoek Franschhoek Valley
M's bottle. Hits that sweet spot that so many South African cabs do between new world fruit and traditional, Bordeaux-like aspirations. Vivid mostly-red fruit and tobacco notes, some spice, tree bark and graphite. Young, will aged well.

2016 Galerie Cabernet Sauvignon Pleinair Napa Valley
Delicious, at optimum drinking for a middle-aged Cal Cab. Good fruit, some secondary development, good finish.

2011 Col Solare Cabernet Franc Component Collection Red Mountain
The evidence of a wine I would have loved in spite of the generous oak, say, 2-3 years ago, is very much there but it's turning muddy now. Drinkable, brightened with a dose of the wine below, but did not deliver as hoped.

2022 Daydreamer Cabernet Franc Okanagan Valley
Light bodied with very little fruit and what there is is mean and green. Very disappointing from a BC winery that has never disappointed before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Boekenhoutskloof and friends

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:00 pm

That is one Daydreamer I don't own - sorry to hear it was sub-par.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Boekenhoutskloof and friends

by Jenise » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:18 am

Bill, be glad you don't. I've visited the winery with you twice now and this one has never been on offer, always shown as "sold out". I frankly would bet this one was never sold at the winery at all. It presents very poorly, and even at only $22 (Everything Wine) it wouldn't sell well. This didn't just not appeal to me, it wouldn't appeal to anyone.

I also bought a bottle of the pinot--another one that's escaped our grasp at the winery. Will let you know how that turns out!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov