The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When you know you're going to drink

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

When you know you're going to drink

by Jenise » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:35 am

I remember Bucko long ago espousing the idea of swallowing a tblsp of olive oil to protect his stomach before imbibing--IIRC he learned this from a French winemaker. I also remember reading Jancis Robinson saying she took a milk thistle capsule before events--she wasn't sure how effective this would be, "but it couldn't hurt!" And just last night a friend at a NY Eve gathering mentioned that she'd "heard" that celery is good for your liver--I say "heard" because she's a bit gullible and picks up random tips from unscientific sources like Dr. Oz and Parade Magazine, not exactly a big thinker--so she and her husband ate peanut butter stuffed celery before they came to the party. Me, I just make a point of hydration--as close to 1:1 as possible.

What precautions to you take, if any?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: When you know you're going to drink

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:32 am

Interesting ideas there. I tend to be skeptical of 'miracle cures' and such. But who knows. I guess 'it can't hurt' is also a fine mantra!

I don't do anything too special. Definitely try to keep drinking water. For me, the biggest hangover reduction technique in recent years has come from stopping to drink earlier in the evening. I used to save some of the wine for after dinner, to see how it evolved, and then maybe also have some nightcap spirits. But I cut all of that out, and if I don't have any more alcohol after dinner, there is more time for it to be processed and I feel much better the next day.

Last night I made a slight exception given the circumstances, and dropped some Chambord in the post-dinner egg nog. But, we were still in bed before midnight!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: When you know you're going to drink

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:52 am

Water is the answer!
Decisions are made by those who show up