The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Upchurch, Lariana, Hudelot-Noellat, Von Strasser

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Upchurch, Lariana, Hudelot-Noellat, Von Strasser

by Jenise » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:02 pm

A few things we drank, or at least encountered, this week:

2022 Lariana Cellars Viognier Okanagan Valley
Bigger, blowsier and seemingly a tad riper than a previous bottle four months ago with new passion fruit character, but with the minerality and acidity that makes OK whites so darned fetching. I'm a viognier hater, but this one's an exception.

2018 Alain Hudelot-Noëllat Bourgogne Pinot Noir
Decanted one hour; reserved and unremarkable. Presume it's one of those inexplicable duff bottles: no technical flaws but never showed the fruit of the vintage or anything like the last CT reviewer's bottle just three weeks ago.

2014 Upchurch Cabernet Sauvignon Upchurch Red Mountain
Opened beside an elegant Napa cab of similar vintage, color opaque purple-black. On the palate black fruit, dark chocolate and rustic, gravelly tannins. Lacks the integration and secondary development one expects at ten years out from the winemaker who put Delille, one of Washington's finest wineries, on the map. Fourth meh bottle opened of six originally purchased. I give up.

2013 Von Strasser Cabernet Sauvignon Post Vineyard Diamond Mountain
Excellent Napa Cab, bright and rather St. Julien in style. More red fruit than black with notes of tobacco and graphite.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov