The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Tale of Two Cities

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: A Tale of Two Cities

by Jim Grow » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:22 pm

The cities are Napa ( or there abouts) and Provence or where ever Chateauneuf du Pape is in southern France.

2017 Smith-Madrone Riesling was just fabulous. The color was medium amber and nose was full of apple, mineral and petrol. Palate followed exactly with excellent acidity. Still seemed young and 5 more years would be called for given the great balance.

2001 Pegau Res. I opened this bottle, a recent purchase of 8 bottles, at Thanksgiving at the start of an eventually disastrous OSU game. It was totally Maderized and therefore undrinkable. I really hope the 7 remaining bottles show like the 6 bottles I have consumed over the previous decades. I will get a refund on that bottle and any of the others with that defect or corked also.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: A Tale of Two Cities

by Tim York » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:50 am

Jim Grow wrote:The cities are Napa ( or there abouts) and Provence or where ever Chateauneuf du Pape is in southern France.

The city is Avignon, which was the home to 9 popes for over 100 years, mainly in the 14th century.

What rotten luck having a completely maderized bottle :evil: . It sounds like a transport or storage problem. One of my best but unusual wine memories was a barrel sample of the Pégau 2001, which was absolutely delicious in its youthful exuberance.

BTW there seems to be no consensus on the spelling of Pégau. I have seen it spelt Pégau, Pegau and Pégaü; the first two within the same paragraph on the estate's own website. :?
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:51 am

22 year old secondary market CNdP sounds risky to begin with. Sucks though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:54 am

Agreed--tisky unless one knows the source. Wouldn't have hopes too high for remaining bottles, sadly.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:00 pm

Update......I am now 3 for 4 with my 2001 Pegau Res. Had my 4th bottle a few nites ago with homemade beef stroganoff and home-grown shiitakes...a match made in heaven. Lots of life left, maybe 10 years.....hopefully 4 more great bottles !
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:36 pm

Hooray!
Decisions are made by those who show up