The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Medoc/Graves 1964-2001 plus bubbles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Medoc/Graves 1964-2001 plus bubbles

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:50 pm

A great group met at my place Friday. I had some cheese and charcuterie out, and we started with bubbles.

NV Benoit Lahaye Brut Nature Grand Cru Champagne (11/2018 disgorgement)
Crisp snappy green apple, nice texture, I liked but think just a little dosage wouldn’t have hurt. B+/B
NV (2018-2019)Filaine Cuvee Speciale Champagne (magnum)
Labeled Speciale, but Jeff says he only has magnum labels in that, this is more likey the DMY. Only a few mags make it to states. Really gorgeous, pear, smoke, and citrus zest, with a rye bread topnote. Racy, full, minerally with elegant mousse and long finish. A-/A

On to the reds (Left Bank, both Medoc and Graves)
2001 Coufran
Black plum and a little green tobacco leaf, nice midweight. Some gentle tannin remaining, some thought it a steak wine, I opined for roast chicken. B/B+

2000 Gruaud Larose
Others seemed to like more than I did. Don’t get me wrong, solid masculine claret, but it seemed a little flatfooted next to the Ducru. B

2000 Ducru-Beaucaillou
Wow, stunning young wine. Lots of tannins, but they’re supple, and there’s powerful cassis fruit. Cedar, tobacco, anise. A-

1995 Grand Puy Lacoste
Black plum, smoke, really wrapped up in tannin. B/B+

1995 Beychevelle
In need of time, but lovely potential. Black cherry and plum, espresso, tobacco. A-/B+

1985 Haut-Marbuzet
Resolved tannins, soft acids, nice texture, soft red plum fruit, cigarbox. If this had been blind I think I would have guessed RB.B+

1982 Potensac
Great showing for this bottle. Cassis, pencil lead, and cedar, still a little tannic structure, great overachiever. B++

While I was grilling, blinded group on a couple whites. They got Bordeaux immediately, but took a while to get chateaux (Craig said 2nd is about 10 years older which was damn close)
2006 La Louviere blanc
Light, fresh, hint of grass, grapefruit and fig, nice length. B/B+

1995 Larrivet Haut Brion blanc
A little more advanced than a previous bottle, toasty oak, honied white fruit, good length. B

And while there was white
2020 Bruno Bienaime La Bulle d’Amelie Cremant de Jura Blanc des Blancs
Apple cider, cheese, toast, interesting. B-

2000 Tyrells Vat 47 Chardonnay (Hunter Valley)
This had been open a day, was still holding out, large framed honied Chard.

We were ready to return to reds with skirt steak, sausages, spinach, and a potato-parsnip gratin.

1974 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon
Off theme, but owner had discovered a leaking bottle. I thought if not pristine it was still a pretty good example, with black cherry, green pepper, and menthol. Very herby, good length. B+

1970 Domaine de Chevalier
Probably my WOTN. Great showing- cassis and black cherry, cigarbox, gravel. Precise and long. A-/A

1970 St Pierre
I liked more than some others. Lighter than the DDC and Calon, but nice is a sweet and easy style. Not super long, and fully mature, but fully pleasurable too. B+

1970 Calon Segur
Bigger than other 2 70s, lots of oomph, all cassis with some green herbs and smoke. B+/A-

1964 Beychevelle
Fully mature but lovely. Sweet red and black cherry, cedar, mushrooms, smoke. Resolved tannins, balanced acids, soft mouthfeel, nice length. A-

1964 Lynch Bages
Not a great fill (mid to top shoulder), and it showed. There is some power underneath, but some clear maderization. This bottle a C, but there are better out there

Fun night, nice crowd, we got very lucky with no corked and only one really flawed bottle.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Medoc/Graves 1964-2001 plus bubbles

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:57 pm

Excellent.

Special thanks for the 2000 Ducru note. I only have two, so it's very helpful to get a check in from someone I know and trust.
Decisions are made by those who show up