The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Ridge Rhones...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Four Ridge Rhones...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:29 pm

We tried these Ridges at Pig+Fig last week:
1. Ridge 79%Syrah/14%Grenache/7%Mataro Lytton EstateVnyd DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (14.1%; 53 brls; bttld May2022; tartaric acid; Drk: 4/22-4/30: JO) 2020: Dark color; strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/ripe strong vanilla/Ridge Am.oak slight strawberry/Grenache quite fragrant lovely nose; rather tart/bit lean strong spicy/blackberry/Syrah/ripe light vanilla/Ridge oak fairly tannic/hard flavor w/ ample bitey tannins; very long finish that mirrors flavor; speaks strongly of ripe/blackberry/Syrah w/ some DryCreek spiciness; needs more age yet. $30.00 (ATP)
2. Ridge 50%Syrah/50%Grenache LyttonEstate DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (14.6%; 40 brls; bttld Dec 2014; tartaric acid; Drk: 9/14-9/21-9/23: EB) 2012: Dark color w/ light bricking; some earthy/dusty slight Rhonish some vanilla/Am.oak light blackberry/Syrah/slight strawberry bit complex nose that resembles a Ridge Zin than Syrah; fairly tart/lean slight Syrah/blackberry/strawberry rather lean/hard strong vanilla/Ridge oak slightly drying out rather lean/hard/tough little fruit flavor w/ ample bitey tannins; med.long rather hard/severe/bit drying finish; lost a lot of fruit & drying out a bit. $57.00
3. Ridge Syrah Lytton Estate DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (14.9%; 10% Viognier; 41 brls; bttld 12/14; tartaric acid; Drk: 9/14-9/22-9/23: EB) 2012: Dark color w/ light bricking; light earthy fairly strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy strong vanilla/Eidge oak bit complex fairly perfumed slight Rhonish/roasted attractive nose; fairly tart some blackberry/Syrah/spicy some vanilla/Ridge oak slightly dried out flavor w/ some hard tannins; long some blackberry/Syrah bit earthy finish that mimics flavor; lost some of the Syrah fruit & a bit hard/drying & not going to get much better; my favorite (slightly) of these four Ridges. $57.00
4. Ridge Syrah LyttonEstate DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (14.2%; 9% Viognier; 42 brls; bttld June 2012; tartaric acid; Drk: 3/12-3/19-3/22: EB) 2010: Med.dark color w/ some browning; light Syrah/blackberry/spicy strong Ridge oak/vanilla bit complex nose that speaks mostly of older Ridge Zin than Syrah; less tart light blackberry/Syrah/bit spicy some light/Am.oak/Ridge oak bit dried out/tannic bit complex flavor w/ modest astringent tannins; very long bit dried-out finish w/ modest drying/astringent tannins; not a lot of aged Syrah character and resembles more than anything an aged/drying out LS Zin than anything. $97.00
1. I've long had a love/hate w/ the Ridge Rhone program. To me, the Ridge winemaking very much dominates their (red) Rhones w/ a strong Ridge oak signature on the wines. They don't resemble hardly any other Calif Syrahs/Rhones, and certainly not French Rhones. And, as they age, they evolve into wines that resemble older Ridge Zins rather than Syrah.
The first Ridge Syrah was the '96 from LyttonSprings. Donn Reisen (Jeez...do I miss that guy!!), knowing my excitement for the prospect of a Ridge Syrah, brought a pre-release sample to a SantaFe W&S Fiesta, probably in '98. When I tasted it at our DaveJones Memorial Potluck, he could tell from my crestfallen look, that I was not blown away by it. But he hastened to assure me that I just needed to give it more time. And he was, of course, right. W/ age, it turned into a lovely aged Ridge Red...but more like Zin than Syrah.
Since then, I've made my peace w/ the Ridge Rhone program. I learned to accept that the wines are Ridge's unique expression of those varieties and not like anybody else's. They mature/evolve into lovely aged Reds, but still speaking w/ a strong Ridge accent. That's just the way it is & will always be.
I am, of course, talking of the Ridge Red Rhones. Their Grenache Blancs are much like other Calif GB's. In fact, they are one of the best GB's made in Calif or anywhere in the World.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Four Ridge Rhones...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:37 pm

Never been a fan of the Ridge Rhones and this does nothing to send me back for another try.
Decisions are made by those who show up