The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Warren's birthday

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Warren's birthday

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:24 pm

I did not take notes at the time, but added to Warren's comments below. He provided all the wines but the finishing Madeira, which I brought:

2021 Kobayashi Winery Syrah Sans Soufre WeatherEye Vineyard Red Mountain
What a gorgeous, gorgeous wine. This was the perfect wake-up call for someone like me who is tiring a bit of aging Rocks funk and yearning for fresher flavors. Here's a syrah that's so young and yet so right, absolutely perfectly in it's moment. Warren described it perfectly: Like my first bottle, it was energetic, pure and fresh. And like the last bottle, it was paired with rack of lamb. The color is deep, dark purple with a radiant fuchsia rim. Black cherry, blackberry, anise, just a hint of iron. After hours of air, subtle olive appears. There are dense fine tannins, and I think these will age well." I do too, but I'm not sure I'd want to wait.

2007 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot Syrah
Years ago I attended a distributor-sponsored tasting of North and South '07 Rhones, expecting to load up. But I bought almost none, as the vintage was too Californicated for my palate. This wine was so opposite, mind-blowing in it's delicacy, freshness and precision at 16 years out. Medium red fruit with ample spice and a long, reassuring finish. Outstanding.

2018 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks Dundee Hills
Cool red berries and incense, fine tannins. A bit reticent, especially for the vintage but very fine nonetheless, we who are familiar with the wine just know it could have been a little more. Will probably show best in about 3 years. Another piece of proof that Kelley Fox is one of Oregon's treasures.

1996 Philipponnat Champagne Brut Clos des Goisses Champagne Blend
Not flawed, but there should have been fireworks and they just weren't there. As W put it: "dull".

2008 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Coeur de Cuvée Champagne Blend
Ah, here are the fireworks! "Pear, lime, chamomile, honey, caramel apple, toast." Everything you could want. With fresh oysters and grated fresh horseradish? OFS.

2010 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Nebbiolo
WT's wine, which had been open three days. Pleasant, but not memorable, as had apparently been the case from the moment the cork was pulled, hence the leftovers.

2001 Suiduirat Sauternes
100% agreement with WT's note. I would add that I've had almost every '01 except Y'Quem, and this is right up there with the best of them: "Perfectly paired with a mousse of foie gras. Sweet honeyed botrytis, orange marmalade and cardamom with crisp lemony acidity...focused and light on its feet."

1954 Leacocks Madeira Terrantez
Took it to WT's birthday bash. His notes: "I told my guests not to bring any wine "unless it's ridiculous". Jenise was up to the challenge and brought this to close out the night. I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a Madeira more. Preserved lemon, walnuts, dried fruit, creme caramel. Perfect level of density for my palate. WOTN?" Pretty. Damned. Good.

Oh wait, where's the '59 Bordeaux?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Warren's birthday

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:52 pm

Oh that Vilmart. I had one bottle that I drank a while ago. Wish I had bought cases.
Decisions are made by those who show up