The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: We actually drank some wine this week

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: We actually drank some wine this week

by Jenise » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:41 pm

2014 Domaine Faury St. Joseph La Gloriette Vieilles Vignes Syrah
Dirty red color. Good syrah nose showing beef boullion and dark cherry fruit on the palate. Rustic finish.

2018 Halcon Vineyards Mourvèdre Yorkville Highlands

This wine is finally ready; delightfully so. Floral, spicy nose with, as my friend Mr. Cooper put it: "Great earthy berry fruit, cured meat, cola and currant. Dry dark berry fruit flavours and a nice balanced berry finish." He liked it berry much. :) Medium bodied in a good Northern Rhone kind of way.

2021 Maryhill Pinot Gris Columbia Valley
Opened a bottle on Saturday night and found it balanced and more interesting than the typical American PG, and by mistake we left the remaining half bottle open (uncorked) in the fridge which we then attended to on Monday. Not only had it not faded, it went the other way. Time and oxygen added body and structure, and it showed some serious Alsatian flavors like ginger and lemon grass. Quite a feat for an $18 American wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: We actually drank some wine this week

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:37 pm

I still have one bottle of the 2018 Halcon Mourvèdre. Several 2019 as well. Bears looking into.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: We actually drank some wine this week

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:21 am

I know we've discussed that '18 before. I wasted three bottles opening them too early, which is why I described this as "ready, finally". I took it to my friends' house as a gift asthey were making lunch and specifically told us not to bring wine. But turns out Dave knows the producer and loves the wines which I didn't know-- was only certain that it was up his alley--so insisted on opening it anyway. It had about a one-hour decant before we got into it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov